Door Close Sensor A3

Hi, I am havving a problem on my A3 that when I close the door the display still says the drivers door is open and the interior lights stay on. This is also a problem when I leave the car as the interior lights stay on
and run down my battery. There is no 'push button' switch in the door shuts, all i can see is a little white sensor looking thing on the door itself above the catch. Is this the sensor and how do I clean/fix it?
From ETKA the door-close switch is part of the door lock mechanism. Rgds

display