driver side parking brake not working

I have just bought an 1987 Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro.On the driver side rear wheel the parking brake does not work.The cable seems to be fine, but when i pull the lever only the passengr side rear wheel
engages.What are the possible reasons for this and what steps should i take to correct this problem.Thanks for any help at all.
The T44 series had issues with E brakes. Most likely what you will find is that there is a rotating part on the brake caliper that the E brake cable connects to. This is probably frozen up from lack of use. You should be able to use a wrench to loosen it up. Try some penetrating lubricant to help the process. Once loose grease it. Using the E brake often will help avoid this in the future.
EDmunds snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

By referring to it as an E (emergency) brake, though, frequent use is discouraged. Over here we simply refer to it as the handbrake. Probably more frequently used with manual transmissions, but even with an automatic I put the car into neutral at lights and put the handbrake on.

Why bother? What's wrong with just stepping on the brake pedal?
-al

That is indeed how most people drive. Apart from dazzling those behind you with your brake lights (at night) and running the risk of your foot slipping off the brake pedal, you may be inadvertently causing your brake discs (rotors) to warp.

Stepping on the foot brake pedal is indeed how most *normal* people drive. The smaller rear brake assemblies are not engineered to withstand that type of abuse! Need I mention you run the risk of being rear ended, or fishtailing out of control had you unfortunately pulled the brake just a little *too* high?
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:19:26 GMT, against all advice, something

I didn't take it to mean that he brought the car to a stop with the handbrake, only that he used it to keep the car in position at lights. That won't abuse it, although I've never heard of anyone else doing that.
--

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Indeed.
It makes more sense to me than sitting there with the car in Drive and a foot on the brake pedal.
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 06:30:30 -0000, against all advice, something

Certainly won't hurt anything.
--

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

http://www.isham-research.co.uk/quattro/caliper.html
The brakes are essentially the same on the ur-quattro and 5000. There are half a dozen more brake system pages on the site.