driver side parking brake not working

I have just bought an 1987 Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro.On the driver side rear wheel the parking brake does not work.The cable seems to be fine, but when i pull the lever only the passengr side rear wheel engages.What are the possible reasons for this and what steps should i take to correct this problem.Thanks for any help at all.

Reply to
EDmunds_878

Tony

By referring to it as an E (emergency) brake, though, frequent use is discouraged. Over here we simply refer to it as the handbrake. Probably more frequently used with manual transmissions, but even with an automatic I put the car into neutral at lights and put the handbrake on.

Reply to
Hooch

Why bother? What's wrong with just stepping on the brake pedal?

-al

Reply to
Alan Sung

That is indeed how most people drive. Apart from dazzling those behind you with your brake lights (at night) and running the risk of your foot slipping off the brake pedal, you may be inadvertently causing your brake discs (rotors) to warp.

Reply to
Hooch

Stepping on the foot brake pedal is indeed how most *normal* people drive. The smaller rear brake assemblies are not engineered to withstand that type of abuse! Need I mention you run the risk of being rear ended, or fishtailing out of control had you unfortunately pulled the brake just a little *too* high?

Reply to
Madesio

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:19:26 GMT, against all advice, something compelled Madesio , to say:

I didn't take it to mean that he brought the car to a stop with the handbrake, only that he used it to keep the car in position at lights. That won't abuse it, although I've never heard of anyone else doing that.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Indeed.

It makes more sense to me than sitting there with the car in Drive and a foot on the brake pedal.

Reply to
Hooch

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 06:30:30 -0000, against all advice, something compelled Hooch , to say:

Certainly won't hurt anything.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

The brakes are essentially the same on the ur-quattro and 5000. There are half a dozen more brake system pages on the site.

Reply to
Phil Payne