Dust in steering column?

When I picked my car on getting back from my holiday I noticed some slight scratching plastic-to-plastic noise just below the steering wheel at certain positions, especially when parking.

I get the impression some dust has made its way at the joint with the board. Is this possible, and if so how can I clean it?

Thanks in advance.

JP Roberts

Reply to
JP Roberts

You don't. You start up a website about how Audi won't buy your car back under the Lemon Laws, write a long message about how the steering column design was lousy and made your family's life a living hell because they had to ride in the car, and look for a lawyer to sue them in a class action suit along with all the other Audi owners who got dust in *their* steering columns.

Haven't you been paying attention?

-- C.R. Krieger (wrong lawyer)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

You're a hoot!

STC

Reply to
Stephen Clark

I don't know C.R. sounds like you're being a lil too soft, I'd try a more agressive approach.

Romy

Reply to
Romy Singh

Mr Krieger, you've got a tremendous ability to steer out of the point being made, haven't you? Yours is a truly irrelevant answer- comparable to I'm not buying potatoes, I'm selling coconuts, for that purpose.

"C.R. Krieger" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Perhaps he's got dust in his point-steering column. :)

Maurits.

Reply to
Maurits van de Kamp

Not to mention leaping tall buildings at a single bound; faster than speeding bullets; more powerful than a locomotive, etc. Thank you.

Satire is never irrelevant. Unwanted maybe ...

-- C.R. Krieger (One o' those moods again)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Satire has to be of a brilliant nature not to be irrelevant.

JP

"C.R. Krieger" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Top-posting corrected...

In addition, the recipient must have a sense of humor. Regardless, your perception of what is brilliant and what isn't makes no implication on CRK's comments.

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Dear Mr Spiker,

Even when it comes to perception, there are finer levels and less fortunate ones, and as for that matter, you might be better off if you weren't wasting your time trying to flatter an attempt at mediocre literature coming from dear Müder Krieger and instead you were driving a new RS6, for example. In this way, we could all devote our resources to more productive matters, too.

A sense of humour is never devoid of politeness if coming from gentlemen. When it is, it becomes only childish mockery, which is how I will treat this matter.

Yours truly,

JP

"Spider" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

[top-posting corrected, again]

Not "mister," and that's "Spider."

Whew. For a literature enthusiast, you sure know how to type a run-on!

1.) I wasn't attempting to flatter anyone. I thought it genuinely funny - something lacking in much of USENET. People are too darn serious, and they take themselves WAY too seriously. Ring any bells, Mr. Roberts? 2.) My time is mine to waste, but thank you for your concern. 3.) Your decided lack of sense of humor is amusing in and of itself.

Your concern over other peoples' resources is touching, but misplaced. Concern yourself with your own productivity, and leave it at that.

Ahh, you *are* a fan of literature, and that difficult device - irony. Bravo!

Well, you can treat it in any way you desire. That doesn't mean that your treatment is accurate or meaningful. The fact that you take offense at the obvious humor says much more about your shortcomings than anyone elses'.

Spider

Reply to
Spider

No offence would have been taken if someone had bothered to answer my question genuinely in the first place. I think we all have serious matters to attend and while a sense of humour is always appreciated, mockery is only of a despicable nature.

As for your own shortcomings, why don't you provide a practical answer in the first place instead of rejuicing in what is none of your business?

"Spider" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

[snipped, top-posting corrected]

You are just too precious. Sounds like you are much too delicate to get out of the house. Please inform yourself of what the "alt" in alt.autos.audi signifies.

More hilarious irony. Your complaints about the form of the replies is laughable when you yourself cannot even begin to follow USENET etiquette. Make much ad hominem commentary, Mr. High-and-Mighty?

Ahh, here is where you show your confusion. Is this not a public forum? Did you not post your question in this forum? Now, with your newly-found knowledge about what "alt" means, put those two together. There you go!

Spider

Reply to
Spider

No ettiquette is necessary if people should be complaisant enough, which places those who desperately need such protocol where they belong.

JP Roberts

"Spider" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Wrong. Etttiquette is always required. Even for the lazy and ignorant.

With the majority of polite people.

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Why, *thank you*!

Now, if you'd simply get a sense of humor, I could make a suggestion that might solve your Audi's 'problem'.

-- C.R. Krieger (Anybody wanna bet he's too proud to listen to me?)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

When spelling etiquette as "etttiquette", you are living proof of what you're saying when you state that the lazy and ignorant need etiquette, so I'll take your word for it.

JP

"Spider" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Sounds you're finally coming back to your good old senses, so I'm all "ears".

JP

"C.R. Krieger" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Several thoughts:

If it's a 'plastic-on-plastic' rub, try a little dry lubricant like talc (fairly clean and disappears quickly) or graphite (dirtier, will continue to show, but more likely to solve the problem).

If it's a noise down inside the column, you might have something in a soft carrier surface (IIRC, they use nylon on metal - should be noiseless) that would only be accessible by taking off the column covers. That might be easy - it might be a PITA.

The ultimate solution might be located just above your heater controls. Hit the 'On' switch and apply the 'Vol^' button liberally. I've found this approach adequately addresses most annoying noises in all my cars (except the loose 10mm bolt in my 535's RF power window assembly last week).

Gutes Glück.

-- C.R. Krieger (Good thing nobody took me up on the bet!)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Earlier, I mispelled it in another way. But it's quite humorous for you to try and give lessons on ettiquette. LOL.

Since I am neither lazy nor ignorant, your comments are meaningless. Are you done shoving your feet in your mouth, or do you require another serving? I did note that you have a fine sense for for writing irony.

Spider

Reply to
Spider