Engine code AEB: Drive by wire?

Hi All
Does anyone know if any petrol Audi's are drive by wire? Specifically engine AEB (1998) ?
Cheers James

The 1.8T switch to DBW in 2000 for the A4. Search on the AudiWorld forums.
-- Matt Wheeler

Nope. The '98 is still a good old mechanical linkage.
Cheers,
Pete
Which means it's better on the snow, because you can use your brakes while accelerating - as I was disappointed to read the other day, you cannot do so with DBW.
JP Roberts

Yup. Plus, with non-DBW you don't have that annoying delay when trying to quickly take off from 1st gear sometimes. A known issue, at least on the B5 A4. DBW can be good, but Audi seems to have f'd up the implementation on this one. I wish mine was a non-DBW.
Cheers,
Pete