engine / exhaust suddenly much louder

Hi all, I have a '94 (UK) 2.6 auto coupe, 103k miles, and the engine has become suddenly much louder, i.e. it now sounds like a Porsche or TVR! I guess
it's an exhaust problem; the performance is the same, and while it's too soon to tell about mpg, that doesn't appear to have changed. Does this sound familiar to anyone? many thanks, Jamie