Engine Swap A4 2.8L to S4 2.7L bi-turbo

Hello, Right now I have 99 A4 2.8L and I am looking to swap it for a 2.7L S4 engine. I just got my hands on a pair of stock S4 turbos in excellent condition, and for a really good deal. About the swap>>> Does
anyone know if it will be a somewhat easy swap? Is it bolt on? What extra parts will I need? Do I need a complete s4 engine? I should be able to use alot of the parts from my 2.8 engine right? Is there a cheap way of doing this swap?
If anyone has any thoughts or answers please let me know. I am pretty much alone on this project. I want to get all the peices I need then I will seek out to find the right mechanic to do the swap.
What you are considering is FAR beyond a simple bolt-on mod.
the two engines are very different and have entirely different computer and engine management.
For more information check Motorgeeks.com
If you want a S4 biturbo just buy one.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Looking at your post, you say you have a 2.8l A4 and you are going to swap it for a 2.7 litre Bi turbo unit?
If so, yes it can be done, and won't be that hard should you get the loom, engine management stuff, all the intercoolers, engine and ancillaries
You will need the 2.7 though, your 2.8 is not really capable of running twin turbos and will need to be custom mapped and maybe even lower compression.
Try and find a written off S4 and strip it, and whack all the stuff into yours, but it is the same car, so should be able to take engine/gbox etc.
Good luck, it has been done before, but is not cheap and would be cheaper to buy an S4, but if you have the time and patience, it can be done :)

Where are you ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0003791284&fromMakeTrack=true
Could be useful if you're local.
Richard
I think we should keep in mind that the S4 also had a six-speed gearbox, enlarged brakes and completely different suspension tuning. Turning an A4 into an S4 isn't as easy as simply swapping the engines, which is a difficult and potentially very expensive ordel on it's own.
My suggestion would either be to simply sell your car for an S4 or to invest the money in more constructive modifications. Get an H&R cup kit suspension, upgrade the braking system, wheels and tires, get a short shift kit, lightweight flywheel and uprated clutch, then add PES Tuning's 2.8 litre supercharger kit. If the mods are choosen properly, it could end up being as fast or faster than an S4.

First, the OP never claimed he was trying to turn an A4 into an S4, he simply wanted to know how difficult it would be to fit an S4 engine into his A4.
Second, I sincerely doubt the PES supercharger-equipped 2.8 could ever hope to keep up with an S4 in a straight line, never mind in twisty bits.
But I do agree with one thing: if he actually wants an S4, he should buy an S4...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd. Original :-)
The PES G3 supercharger for the 2.8 litre V6 increases output to 295 Hp and 265 Ft. Lbs. when mated to upgraded intake and exhuast systems and runing 91 octane gas. Compare that to 250 Hp and 255 Ft. Lbs. for North American spec S4s, which have longer gearing - the accleration should be very similar and I wouldn't discount the possibility of it being quicker than the S4.
As for handling, an 18" wheel package with high performance tires and an upgrade to an H&R cup kit with front and rear anti-roll bars should make the A4 easily competant to run with the S4.
Lastly, although I know the original poster was asking specifically about an engine swap, the 2.7T engine swap is fairly pointless without also adding the other upgraded parts.
daytripper wrote:

Why?
The 2.7 twin turbo is also fitted to the Allroad which does not come with all the (sports) upgrades like the S4 does, the 2.8V6 top speed is only slighly shorter than the speed limited 2.7t.
Unless you are going to track the A4 then a straight swap should be a nice challenge, and it has been done to passats I think even a golf has the engine.
But it can be done, and has been done, it will cost alot though :)
The Allroad is a different case, it was designed to combine most of the best elements of Audi's sports and luxury sedans into a vehicle that would also have minimal off road ability. It's added heft over the A6 Avant (already fairly heavy) somewhat neccesitated the use of the 2.7T as the base engine. Moreover, it's standard adjustable air suspension provided it the ability to handle at near-S4 Avant levels when set to "sport".
If the only point in performing this swap would be to get some added power from the vehicle, then using PES's supercharger kit is still a more cost effective and simple means to the same end, you can simply opt not to perform the additional suspension, braking or wheel/tire upgrades.
Of course, you could also opt to try and find one of the few 6-speed equipped W8 Passats that made it into North America, it'll offer a nice boost in performance over the 2.8 A4 at a reasonable price and without the hassle of an engine swap.
Ronny wrote:

This isn't the first time this guy has asked about this in a group, he has asked the same question (and gotten basically the same answers) in a Yahoo group as well. He never responds to any posts made back to his question.
The key here is, 'can I do it cheaply'? So, he's looking to do some half-assed 'conversion' with a bunch of parts, on the cheap, with probably no other intelligent upgrades like suspension, brakes, etc.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA
Oh, well. Apparently he's either not real serious about the swap or he's going to keep asking around until someone gives him the answer he's looking for. As I noted, the swap doesn't make sense to me personally. He'd be better off getting the PES kit or trading the A4 in toward something else.