Erratic Startup Diagnosis Display

Just recently the start-up diagnosis display is sometimes acting weird. Bad display with lines and mutated characters and animations, but then sometimes just fine.

The process checks out o.k., and runs fine, but would be hard to read if there was a problem to report.

Any tips on what to check, fix, or replace would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Graham

---------------

1989 Audi 200TQ
Reply to
Bill Graham

Sounds like a dodgy connection on the display. Oxidised contacts?

HTH

Hairy One Kenobi

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion in the first place. So there!

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Excellent thought. I'll check and clean all of the connections I find under the hood. I imagine it would be one of the larger ones.

Thanks.

Bill

---------------

1989 Audi 200TQ

Reply to
Bill Graham

Actually Bill I think Hairy One is referring to the following,

From what you describe sounds like you need to pull the instrument cluster from the dash...

-- Taylor

'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Reply to
Just Taylor

Bill, I think HOK was referring to the connections on the display in the dash instrument panel. I had a similar problem recently in that the onboard computer consumption indicator was making it's own values up. Took the instrument panel out, cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser, resoldered a couple of dry joints and replaced, all working correctly again.

HTH

IRL

1989 Audi 200 Avant QT (1B engine) 214000 miles and counting....
Reply to
IRL

Got it. I'll tackle that. I've got other issues back there as well with some bulbs and the odometer is broken.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Graham

I had the same display problem on my '91 100Q. It turned out to be the connector plug on the back of the Bose radio was not fully seated. On mine the radio station and band is displayed in the multifunction display if no error codes are being displayed.

T> Got it. I'll tackle that. I've got other issues back there as well with some

Reply to
TonyJ