Erratic Startup Diagnosis Display

Just recently the start-up diagnosis display is sometimes acting weird. Bad display with lines and mutated characters and animations, but then sometimes
just fine.
The process checks out o.k., and runs fine, but would be hard to read if there was a problem to report.
Any tips on what to check, fix, or replace would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill Graham --------------- 1989 Audi 200TQ

Sounds like a dodgy connection on the display. Oxidised contacts?
HTH
Hairy One Kenobi
Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion in the first place. So there!
Excellent thought. I'll check and clean all of the connections I find under the hood. I imagine it would be one of the larger ones.
Thanks.
Bill --------------- 1989 Audi 200TQ

Actually Bill I think Hairy One is referring to the following,
http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/instrument.html#contact
From what you describe sounds like you need to pull the instrument cluster from the dash...
-- Taylor
'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Bill, I think HOK was referring to the connections on the display in the dash instrument panel. I had a similar problem recently in that the onboard computer consumption indicator was making it's own values up. Took the instrument panel out, cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser, resoldered a couple of dry joints and replaced, all working correctly again.
HTH
IRL 1989 Audi 200 Avant QT (1B engine) 214000 miles and counting....
Got it. I'll tackle that. I've got other issues back there as well with some bulbs and the odometer is broken.
Thanks,
Bill

I had the same display problem on my '91 100Q. It turned out to be the connector plug on the back of the Bose radio was not fully seated. On mine the radio station and band is displayed in the multifunction display if no error codes are being displayed.
Tony '91 100Q 5spd