erratic throttle response

I posted about this a little while ago, but still need more info.
My newly-acquired 1991 A4 2.8Q (14,000 miles) has very erratic, jerky and unpredictable throttle response, especially when starting from a stop. I
never know how it will respond. My wife nearly had an accident due to throttle delay, and I hate driving in close quarters, like when parking. The car is likely to do nothing at the first application of throttle, then leap ahead. It's impossible to provide smooth acceleration, unless you apply the throttle so slowly and carefully that you are willing to be the last one away from the traffic light, with the car behind eating your bumper. Mid-range throttle is better, but still poor, compared to any other car I've driven.
The dealer had the car for a day, and said it was "normal". Screw that -- if it's normal, I want them to buy it back! They did a throttle adaptation (I think) and that seemed to help a tiny amount (maybe) for a short time, but then it was back to the old tricks. I'm beginning to hate driving this otherwise-nice car.
I've read other complaints about something similar -- mainly throttle lag -- in various forums, but haven't read of anything exactly like this, nor of a fix. HELP!!!!
RapidRon
--
Remove "No-Spam" from return address to reply

I have seen things from soft/broken motor mounts to broken/cracked boots to the throttle body causing problems like that. Something might shift unexpectedly when you first start to accelerate. Check those boots first and let us know what you find!

Very stupid question: Does it do the same thing when standing in neutral? If yes, did you try to turn the throttle at the engine (I don't know what it is called, I mean this thing where the cable from the acellerator cable ends at the engine and turns something). If you turn there, you might be able to narrow down whether there is a problem in the transmission from the paddle to the engine or in the engine.
Just a thought, I am not an expert,
Christoph
--
Important: Emails sent to me which contain my full name
in the "to:" or "cc:" field will bypass my spam filter.
Remove "No-Spam" from return address to reply
"Christoph Bollig" < snipped-for-privacy@gmx.net> wrote in message
I just got the same car and it does the same thing.

Ouch! Now what do we do? Let me know if you find a solution, and I'll do the same for you. BTW, mine seems to be fairly decent when the engine is "cold", and for maybe the first 5 minutes. Does yours behave that way too?
Ron
--
Remove "No-Spam" from return address to reply
"Dennis W" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
Ron, I just got back from the dealer(Mercedes, Volvo, VW) where we bought the car. It has 59,000 miles and runs great,except for the throttle response from a standing start. We just got it monday so I have'nt driven it much. My wife drives it. I spoke with the salesman and a VW mechanic. The mechanic said there should be a little lag in initial throttle response and is typical with a "drive by wire". The salesman drove it and said he thinks it drives like it is supposed to. The cars transmission is "adaptive" and after 500 miles or so should adapt to how the wife drives it.(maybe the previous owner was a lead foot and the car was responding to this type of driver.) Anyway as I drove it, I became a little more comfortable with its response and have decided to give it 500 miles or so to adapt and then if not happy will take it to a different dealer(Audi) for a second opinion. Good luck with yours and keep me informed. Feel free to email with questions or comments. Dennis

Guys,
My 2000 A4 1.8T did the exact same thing after about 25k. The throttle body was gummed up. The dealer cleaned mine out and everything was good to go after that. HTH!
Elroy 2000 S4
On Thu, 27 May 2004 00:50:51 GMT, "Dennis W"