ESP and fuel efficiency

i know this sounds crazy, but it there any chance that driving with the ESP engaged reduces fuel efficiency?
my fuel numbers are down since we've had ice and snow and i've been
more apt to drive with ESP engaged.
am i just seeing things? or is this possible?

I don't see a connection. Is it possible that the reduced mpg you're observing has to do with overall lower ambient temps (engine takes longer to warm up, and until it does, it is less efficient) and/or the use of winter gas?
Also, what do you mean by "i've been more apt to drive with ESP engaged"? The ESP is engaged by default and requires you to push the button to defeat it (and when it is defeated, an icon will light up on your dashboard). Are you saying that when there is no ice and snow, you press that ESP button every time you start the car? Just curious. I used to shut mine off most of the time too, as I felt the ESP was bogging the car down in 1st gear in my b5 a4 1.8tq.
Pete

holy crap. i am an idiot. i have been assuming that i needed to turn it on by pressing the button. so you're saying i've been turning it off when the icon comes up on the dashboard?
i guess i should have read the owners manual more thoroughly.
ok, so now the question is: is it possible to get lower mileage by turning the ESP off? :-)
On 5 Feb 2007 14:34:03 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Get in your car. Turn it on. Drive. Stop worrying about 2 mpg change in the winter time. It's the cold. Of course, you could put it in Georgia overdrive on hills. d;o)
Dave

Yup.
Pete
On 4 Feb 2007 11:35:36 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

No doubt you're seeing lower mileage, but I really doubt it has anything to do with the car per se. Cold weather increases energy losses from heating up the block to stiffer tranny and differential lubes. And, depending on where you are located, fuel blends may be modified for emissions reasons (eg: alcohol added as an oxygenator) during winter, which will definitely cut your mileage.
I notice roughly a 2 mpg hit during winter vs summer (and on the same S03 tires - I have other vehicles for snowy roadways). And my car doesn't even have ESP (that showed up on '01 production S4s)...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
On 4 Feb 2007 11:35:36 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

You should be driving with esp as a default, i.e. it is always on and requires you to physically press a button to turn it off. With it off, you will experience wheel spin in slippery conditions.
I just returned last Sunday from a winter driving school (Tim O'Neal's) in NH that I gave for Christmas to all my kids, their husbands, and my grandchildren with drivers' licenses. If I drove my RS6 with the ESP engaged, it wasn't much fun, and I found it difficult to get it loose. I made all my runs on the three different exercises with it off. I was quicker with it on, but the idea of the school was to hang out the car, lose control (either understeer or oversteer), and regain it. My son's-in-law Audi 4.2 and my grandson's S4 did not have ESP. My wife's Lesux has it, but you couldn't turn it off. No one wanted to drive the Lexus. d;o)
Gas mileage? Mine is always a little less in the cold months, probably because it takes longer for the engine to warm to efficient operating temps.
Dave
"Dave LaCourse" wrote

LOL! Haven't heard that one before. :)
Pete

d;o) Typo, but it truly does sux if you're trying to get it loose.

If ESP brakes it costs fuel. Thats what you're asking? Only of you keep speed momentum because of higher engine torque.
A.