Exhaust/loud/hard starting-87 5KSQ

I have an '87 5KS Quattro...a while back, I noticed it was all of a sudden VERY loud while driving--sounded like I had glass packs. The car ran and started just fine--mpg was consistent, etc. Then after
about a week, I started having a very hard time starting it, almost as if it were mis-firing or was starved for fuel. It turns over just fine, it's just very hesitant to fire. Once it finally does turn over, the exhaust (I think) is very noisy for a while, producing a rattling sort of sound...but after warming up for a few minutes, the car runs fine, EXCEPT for the fact that it idles too fast (somewhere around 1400 RPMs) and, consequently, heats up a more quickly than it should (though the heating up has not been problematic as I just winterized). I can't help but think the starting/idling problems are somehow related to the exhaust noise. Any ideas/suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Thanks...
jason
Sounds to me that your injectors developed a leak which causes the hard starting due to flooding. Try to hold the gas peddle about 1/4 down when starting to clear it faster.
The excessive fuel may have caused the CAT to run too rich and burned it out. When that happens you get a rattling sound in the CAT and needs to be replaced. excessive fuel in the CAT on start-up and also cause an occasional backfire which can also ruin the seal for the CAT causing louder exhaust sound.
Fast idle could be due to the cold start injector stuck open and could be part of the overall problem.
Try some Tecron injector cleaner from your local car parts store. This might help the leaking problem.
The exhaust problem will probably require replacing the CAT.
Tony '91 100q 5spd