first dead battery, now no radio. code ? what code ?

hey, A guy I work with had a dead battery, now thats it's charged his radio won't work.
He needs a code to put into the radio to get it to work.
any idea how the hell to do it without sending it to audi repair shop @ $105
an hour ?

Yep - you refer to the User Manual for the radio and follow the instructions to enter the 4-digit number which came on a little tear-off card attached to the manual.

thanx, but it's missin...
dummy buyin a used audi..whats he thinkin ?
is it perhaps marked anywhere inside the auto perhaps ?
what does an auto repair shop do when they unhook the battery ?

They wire a 9volt battery do-hickey into the cigarette lighter.

ok...I'll bite.......
What the hell you talkin about ?

Scott, Radio Shack sell them - as does JCWitless and various other supply places. You can make one fairly easily from a 9 volt lead , a cigarette lighter plug and a (ok...memory failing on the name electrical device) thingey that keeps the car battery from trying to charge the 9v cell while it's plugged in (blocks current from flowing into cell). Of course, all this doesn't help your friend with the dead radio, does it? If he takes the car to his local Audi dealer, with the radio serial number and the car's VIN, they can give him the code for the radio (provided that it's the original radio in the car). Depending on the year and model of the radio, you can use the method described in Ti Kan's web site to enter to code in the radio: http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/radios.html Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes

thanx, but his site says, if you lose the code, take it to a dealer lol

Scott, I went to my local dealer with a radio from a VW that was sitting "one foot in the crusher" at the wrecking yard that I frequent (hey, with an "inventory" like mine, you hafta bee on a first-name-basis with at least a couple dismantlers). With the radio out, I had the serial # (printed on the tag) and the VIN of the car which I took down after I removed the radio - they provided the 4 digit code for free. I just followed Ti's instructions to get it unlocked. If the car is a new model, where nearly everything is done via VAG-COM, then you may be able to find a non-dealer in your area that has the connection and software to help you out. You might check on the audiworld newsgroups to see how others have unlocked their radios. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

"Scott" wrote

Well, yes, no one said otherwise. Steve was just saying that once you get the code from the dealer, you can use Ti Kan's instructions to enter this code on the radio.
Cheers,
Pete

The dealer can get it for him as a courtesy if he brings it in. They can check the VIN and his ownership papers, and they push some magic buttons in their computers.
$105

His radio code is either on a card in his pocket that he took out of the owner's manual, or it's still in the owner's manual, right where the instructions are for how to input the radio code.
The guy who owned my S8 before me, wrote the code on a cross member in the trunk so it couldn't be lost. Fairly clever, I thought.

Don't know if it applies to newer Audis, but mine had a label printed and placed in the bottom of the rear deck on one of the cross members. John 1990 V8 Q. On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:24:26 -0600, "Scott"

I recently purchased a used A4... had the Owners Manuel, but also had the radio code tag missing... all I did was went to a dealer , explained that the code was missing (previous owner probably never handed it in)... they removed the radio, got serial number & VIN, contacted the factory and after a day or two gave me the code, no hassles , no charge, so what's the problem.....