front and rear drive shaft seals leaking on '99 A6 Q

Œ99 A-6Q 75K miles on it.
I'm just back from shop after getting t-belt, t-stat, Water pump, and other rolling belt parts replaced. While the car was up on the lift, the shop owner showed me where the car
picked up a minor leak at the transmission output shaft seal. I went to the rear differential and noted leaks there also, from all three shafts: the axle seals, and the ring and pinion seal.
Is this common?
Nothing looks catastrophic, and fluid levels are ok for now. But I¹ll be putting it in at the next oil change for this repair. It looks like most of the exhaust system will have to be pulled, just to get to the drive shaft. There is some corrosion on all exhaust plumbing, I drive this thing in snow quite a lot, and I¹m wondering if there are any surprises waiting when they pull all this to access the drive shaft. Thanks,
Grover
Add pictures here
✖
Common? Well, lets just say I stock all those seals. Pinion seals are rare, but I've replaced a few. On the front transmission output seal, the leak is rarley the seal itself. There is a cover on the back of the box, above the output shaft, it goes on with two screws. Remove it, clean it, and use a decent anerobic sealer (Loctite 574, Porsche case sealant, works great.) to seal it up. If you replace just the seal, the leak will persist. And it stinks, it drops right on the cat. At 75K, make sure you have him check the front arms thoroughly as well. They usually don't make it this far.
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:41:41 GMT, Grover

Add pictures here
✖
Great heads-up on including the cover on the front box.
I'll relay that request to my local guy when I take it back in for this job.
All three rear shaft leaks looked nearly equal. I took that to point toward "normal" wear than outright failure of a seal. The front was a bit worse, with some pooling evident - certainly enough to give Fluffy's fur a hot oil treatment.
Thanks again,
Grover
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, JPF at snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote on 9/11/03 6:14 AM:

Add pictures here
✖
Thanks,
The front box does form a drip (sort of ready to, but not quite). Though, I haven't noticed any on the ground.
I'm going to go to my next oil change for sure, and then likely have both front and back done - since the exhaust plumbing will have to be yanked regardless.
In the mean time, I'll keep a close watch on my parking spot.
Grover
in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, C.R. Krieger at warp2 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 9/11/03 7:34 AM:

Add pictures here
✖
If it isn't dripping on the ground then don't worry yet!
wrote on 9/11/03 7:34 AM:

Add pictures here
✖