Front suspension

I have a 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro sedan with 59,150 miles on it. I just brought it in to the dealer for the 60K service and received the following news:
There is play in the lower control links and they must be replaced at a cost of $1400 US.
Has anyone had this experience??? I spoke to an independent german auto repair shop and they told me that this problem is not unusual, especially for cars that deal with the oh so great roads in the Eastern US.
Any advice??
Also, anyone done the timing belt change at 60K??? I'm looking at a lot of money into this car and I want to be sure I do it right.

This is currently the subject of a free inspection and replacement in the UK.

brought
cost
of
Lower arms should be covered under a Audi recall, ask them about this. the parts here in england cost about 40.00 each and it prob only needs the 2 lower ones.
Your 2.8 can go to 80k miles before it needs a belt, but to be on the safe side change it at 60k, mainly the 1.8T engines were effected by this, there is less stress on the 2.8. plus you got the newer hydrulic tensioners.
Are you finding the car squeeks when you go over bumps and uneven road, like a creaking/groaning sound?
Ronny
www.fsplanes.net