Fuel consumption

Recently I bought 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro Automatic and managed to have only 16 miles per gallon in mixed driving conditions (urban, highway). It seems very low. What is your experience with consumption
and does anybody know the ways of improving it.
"Likma" wrote

AFAIK, manufacturer's values are 20 mpg in mixed driving and 17 mpg in city driving for this model. So, your figure is a bit low, but not unheard of, depending on how you drive.
My A4 1.8T quattro manual got 19 mpg in the city.
Things you can check: - air filter - spark plugs - verify if there are any error codes stored in the ECU
Cheers,
Pete
hi all...
Just got back from a 3160 mile trip to New Orleans (3 days before Katrina) from Boston.....
Quick ride down 1445 miles in 26 1/2 hrs......
1996/A6Q/2.8/Auto
on reg gas (87) @ 75-85mph ....... 24.6 mpg
for trip home ran high test(93) roughly same time and distance......@75-88mph @ 26.9mpg.....
works for me.....
pax... tiv

So you get ~10% more miles with 93 vs. 87 ...
Sounds like the way to go as the price of the 93 is not 10% > price of the 87 ...
What about the mileage/gallon when driving in the city only?
Vincent A4 04 Conv. 3.0
Paul Tivnan wrote:

I have a 1990 Audi 100 with the std. 2.3 liter 5-cylinder engine. I get about 19-21 mpg around town and about 25 highway (that's here in Texas running the air conditioner full-blast most of the time).
--
Best Regards,
Peter