Fuel Filter Fopah

I admit my stupidity.

'89 200 Quattro Turbo: I was changing my fuel filter (first time since I've owned the car) and I was attempting to take the fuel line on the incoming side. While I was loosen the line, or thinking I was loosening it, I was actually twisting the whole damn thing and now I've got a twisted up fuel line. I stopped what I was doing and twisted it back.

So, can someone explain to me the right way to remove the fuel line from the incoming side, and what can/should I do about the twisted fuel line? My facilities are basically my driveway. The car runs and gets gas, but this certainly can't stay this way.

Thanks for your help.

Bill Graham

1989 200TQ
Reply to
Bill Graham

Knowing a few high pressure fuel filters, One wrench is on the filter side bolt and one on the screw in by the line. Need two wrenches. Some may need the special wrench that has a cut in it to go around the pipe and locks on 2/3 of the nut. Looking into the filter, counter clockwise is unscrew. Clockwise is tighten.

Reply to
Mike B.

And re the twisted fuel line - A number of people have done this. A number have actually broken the steel line. In some cases they have repaired it by using high pressure rubber fuel line to re connect the break and two very good hose clamps on each side of the splice. This might work but is a bit scary due to the high fuel pressure of the system (80 psi + AFAIK). If it were to come off when driving you would have a very dangerous and messy problem.

OTOH, replacing the line is a PITA and not cheap.

If it is twisted but not yet broken I would probably replace the filter carefully and try not to bump or bend it.

T> Knowing a few high pressure fuel filters, One wrench is on the filter side

Reply to
TonyJ

Bill, I was reading your post and waiting for the comment, "And the fuel sprayed out and I stumbled around the car blindly...knocking everything over...." Man, that stings....oh yeah, don't ask me how I know - at least I knew that the check valve was doing its stuff...... Here in Hamilton (Ontario, Canada) there's a place called TT Liquid Handling that has a machine shop that can fab hydraulic tubing - I had them make up a stainless fuel line for one of the ones that rusted out under the rubber mounts on the underside of the car. I needed to get a good steel fitting (the one I had was super rusty and rounded) - got the replacement from a junkyard wreck (at the fuel filter location) for free. I got the correct length of tubing from a hydraulics shop, and then TT took the old rusty line and made a copy out of stainless. I see a couple companies at old car swap meets selling custom made stainless fuel and brake lines - custom made for old cars. The trick is that our cars need a "bubble flare" on the tubing - it's tricky to make on stainless without cracking the tube. TT made a reasonable approximation - I coated the fitting threads with no-sieze and then really torqued the connection together - haven't had any leaks there since. The line that you twisted is probably a short piece with a connection at the bottom of the firewall, just before it turns to run back toward the tank - It shouldn't be too costly to make a replacement - just remember to replace any heat shielding that you remove (otherwise you'll risk having vapourlock). Of course, you could use that junkyard wreck to get the same section of tubing - I didn't because the stuff under the car is most always rotted out. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - conducting an experiment - one stainless line, and one nearly new steel line under the car....will they both last? 1980 Audi 5k - no fuel line probs.....but the EGR line is made from stainless! 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - no winter driving = no salt = no need for stainless tubing (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

"TonyJ" wrote in message news:3fd9276c$0$41297$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.visi.com...

says...

Reply to
Steve Sears