Fuel injector seals

My 200 has a hard start issue and I'm suspicious the injectors are leaking. (Cranks a long time and when it does start the exhaust smells and looks rich
like it was flooded.) I'm curious if replacing JUST the seals will correct the problem or do I need to change the injectors too. The car has 132K on it so I thought it may be just the seals. Am I correct? Anyone had a similar experience?
How difficult is this job? Do I need to take off the intake manifold? The Bentley manual suggests you can just pull out the injectors with the lines attached. How is this possible? From peering under the hood it looks like one would need to pull the intake manifold which does not look fun.
Any help is much appreciated.
Steve
Steve, The injectors do indeed just pop straight out. Of course, there _IS_ a special tool (I can hear your cry of "special tool agony" already...fear not!) See: http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/injectors.htm and most importantly: http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/injectors2.htm which shows the tool - essentially an L-shaped piece with a slot cut in it so that it grabs the injector below the hex, and then slots cut in the top for a screwdriver to do what flat head screwdrivers do best - pry. I wouldn't advise Huw's method of pulling on the lines for the reasons he states - those old lines will kink and break. I've heard that careful prying can pull them out. Old seals leak unmetered air into (vacuum) and out of (under boost) the engine (causing poor running) - the seals look like rubber donuts around the injector. Leaking injectors can cause a loss of shutdown fuel pressure (as can a leaky fuel pump check valve, leaking fuel metering head assembly, leaking fuel lines under rubber undercar mounts) - some have had limited success with cleaning them, but I believe that the best solution for leaking injectors is to replace them. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Steve,
As usual you have been most helpful. Thanks for your all your help and the links. Just what I needed!
Steve
I would expect an ignition problem. Maybe just the spark plugs or a weak spark. ;-)
I have heard great things about a product called BG 44K and will try it in my vehicles before changing any injection components.
--
later,
dave