Fuel pump. Audi A4 1.8 petrol. M reg '95

I was driving my car when it lost all power. AA man had a good look & told me the fuel pump is gone. To access it you go through the boot, screw off
the cover but I'm unsure how to take the fuel pump out, would love to get some tips on how to fix the problem. Thank you.
I had the same problem with my Porsche, spent $700 checking out the fuel pump to find out that it was a $7 relay. VW relays seem to be weak so try that before you pull apart the fuel tank.
Tom