fuel reserve

How much fuel is left when the light comes on?

2 models 1997(R) A4 1.8 (wife's) 1999(T) A6 1.8T (mine)
Reply to
big AL

They ought to be about the same - we have a 96 A4 & a 98 VW Passat & both will take around 51-52 litres to fill a 60 litre tank when the light comes on. I'd work on around 8 litres (near enough 2 US Gallons) being left to empty (if the thing would get it all out the tank). Either way I wouldn't push it much past 40-50 miles. There is a school of thought that its not a good idea to run the fuel right down anyway - can't remember why though! (search the Audiworld forums if you really need to know!)

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Tends to dredge up all the gunk and stuff that settles to the bottom of the tank.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Big Al, wouldn't it be simple to go and fill up when the light comes on and see how much it takes?? That way, you would know for sure for your particular car(s).....

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Jeremy Clarkson (of Top Gear fame) did a test with an A6 IIRC from London to Edinburgh and back on 1 tank of fuel, interesting episode if you can get hold of it.

Reply to
Graham

Reply to
Tony

Saw it - it was a diesel thing IIRC. Did the whole thing as a max fuel economy run - drove as carefully as possible with no AC, no windows open, no radio on etc etc. He made it - just - something like 850 miles out of one tank of diesel - not a bad effort but must have been as dull as hell to do!

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

I'll assume that the A4 1,8 is a FWD (i.e. non-Quattro) which means a 60 litre tank. Quattro tanks are 5 litres smaller I think, due to the space occupied by the driveshaft.

When my fuel light comes on (at 60 km remaining) and if I fill the tank immediately, I get in approx 51 litres. After the "km remaining" counter gets to zero, I have managed to drive a further 40 km and then put in

60,2 litres. Have no idea, though, how close I was to running completely dry.

YMMV, literally.

/Robert

Reply to
Robert

thanks 1 and all

Reply to
big AL

Tony said -

The fuel pump motor is cooled by the gas in the tank. When it gets near empty the pump is no longer immersed in fuel and tends to heat up had sometimes burn out.

Really?? Seems to me you wouldn't want anything 'heating up' inside the fuel tank! I know it's actually gasoline vapor that is combustible, but still....

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

My source is the T44 AudiWorld forum that is populated by some impressively technical people who work on their own cars.

A number of threads have menti> Tony said -

Reply to
Tony