Fuel type

I'm looking at buying a 02-04 A6. Do any of the available engines require that you run premium fuel? Thanks, K

Reply to
Ken K

Yes, but if you run regular the engine will adapt in normal driving and the give up will be performance and according to conventional wisdome, mileage will be poorer.

If you drive your car more aggressively you would need to go with 93 or at least 91 octane (US Octane rating).

I have previously owned a '98 1.8 TQM (APR chipped stage 1) and currently have an '04 1.8 TQ6M. The I kept the '98 to 95K miles and currently have 68K on the '04. I have used 91 octane in the city and 89 on the highway. I have also compared highway mileage over many tanks (I dive on the road a lot) on both grades and if anything it seems that mileage is better by 4 or 5 percent on the 89 octane. Go figure.

I'm getting ready to put on my flack vest after that comment.

The eng> I'm looking at buying a 02-04 A6. Do any of the available engines require

Reply to
Tony

My 2007 A3 3.2 also runs fine on lower octane gas for mild driving. Freeway cruising gives exactly the same milage. I think I felt a loss of responsiveness.

The type of engine and climate probably matters a lot. The A3 3.2 doesn't have a turbo, a high compression ratio, or any exotic designs that would require high octane gas. Except for that intake comb-over, it seems like a pretty boring engine.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

As long as the engine is non-turbo, you should have no problems burning 89 octane. The car will adjust to the type of gas you choose to buy. You will probably experience less than the maximum performance level of the engine, however, with a lower octane. I have put 89 octane in my RS6 (V8 with twin turbos) and it ran just fine. I did notice a decline in performance, but that was because of how I drive. d;o)

Dave

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

Ok... Seriously... if you have an RS6 (or any newer audi) you can afford the $4-5 more a fillup for premium. If you can't, you should probably be looking at a cheaper car. I love my 2.0T A4, and will never put anything but premium in my car.

-Russell

Reply to
Russell Lewis

G-man uk

Sure, I can afford it. But if ya get stuck with only 89 octane (the

91 (or was it 93?) pump is broken, whatya want me to do? Get a cab and try to find a higher octane somewhere. I mean, it was 2 in the morning, raining, cold, in the middle of nowhere, wind blowing like a son-of-gun, and I had to exit from the NY Thruway, my wife was having labor pains, and our other four kids were in the back seat crying because their mom was making all these strange noises. I mean, what the hell did ya want me to do, buster? Oh, the humanity.

An RS6 will run just fine on 89; it simply means ya can't play.

Dave (who is wonderin' what the little boy will do when I tell him I put 89 in my new R8 {when it arrives}) d;o)

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

Do a search on 'Octane' within this group - tons of info......

Reply to
Mick x

The problem I have here in Boston is that most gas stations, save Sunoco, doesn't offer 91. It's either 89 or 93. When I picked up my 2.0T Quattro last year, my salesman went over this and advised that I should alternate fill-ups with 89 one week and 93 the next. So far, this has worked out fine even though I tend to fill-up more with 93. And even with a full tank of 89, you can still play with little difference in performance.....well, at least with my car.

Reply to
Sri Krsna

Lol, sounds like a fun situation that you were in. I'm just used to hearing the people at audiworld bitch about how they don't want to have to pay for premium gas in their new 2.0T's they just spent over 30k on.

As for me, I don't mind the 93 octane (there is no 91 in GA). And I suppose if I was out of gas and the only station had 89, I could always drop my car out of APR 93 mode and back to stock :->. I'd miss the horsepower though.

Cheers to the R8 tho! I hope you don't have to wait too long. I hear that wait list is approaching F430 waits (for low rank ferrari owners).

-Russell

Reply to
Russell Lewis

You actually bought that tall tale? ahahahahahahahaha! The last kid he had is about Moses's age by now ;-)

It's also rather startling someone could be so warm and cuddly about putting regular in his twin turbo high output car now, but when someone once innocently filled his NON-TURBO A6 tank with regular many years ago, he threw a most unsightly public hissy-fit, and to this day still finds reasons to bring it up again, as if it mortally wounded his ride.

The worst of it is, he drives like an old woman. It's going to be even more pathetic to have him riding around in an R8 while dowagers pass him on the highway like he's standing still ;-) ahahahahahahahaha!

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Actually the fool put 87 octane in because it was the cheapest. There was 89 pctame avalable, but Bozo chose 87. Unbelievable. He of course didn't know any better, and in a total of about 2000 miles that trip, that was the only tank of gas he bought. Nice work if you can get it.

He's ready to take on anyone who wants to challenge him. Pick a spot: Ft. Deven runway. NHIS with the Audi Club. You name it, cheapskate. As a matter of fact, he'll even put his granson in HIS 2000 S4 against you. I've seen the way you drive. You'll loose.

Better yet, come with me to Poccono in October to drive the R8 and RS4. Uhhhh, this time, however, you can drive your own car. I needn't have to worry about how cheap you are. And, no, before you ask, el cheapo, I won't pay for the school. d;op

Whatja think of my troll, sucker? Bwwaaaahahahahahahaha. Your performance was anticipated. In fact, it was called for. d;o)

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

Direct injection doesn't count?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

A lot of it isn't necessarily what I'd call "info".

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I suppose calling him a "little boy" is supposed to make you appear mature?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

The A3 doesn't have it.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

Oops, right. The A3 has the 3.2 VR6 (which VW doesn't call a VR6 anymore for some reason).

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith