Galvanized car body

Does Audi still galvanize their car bodies? I know my 5000cs turbo still looks good considering it is 18 years old. Also what other manufacturers do this beside Porsche? Does VW? Anyone know what it cost Audi to do this
process?
Drew
"armstrong" wrote

Yes.
BMW, I think.
Cheers,
Pete

Audi uses galvanised steel which is slightly different from galvanising the body. Since it's galvanised before moulding the result is a strong sandwich like steel.
VW and the latest GM Opel/Vauxhall Astra use the same material.
Ronald
GM has been known to galvanize some of their bodies since mid-80s.

Saintor, GM uses an electro-galvanizing bath on the assembled car body. Audi began galvanizing the Type 44's by using galvanized sheet steel. They had to figure out how to avoid compromising the stamp-cut edges of the steel (they roll the galvanized edge over cut edges) and how to keep spot welds from corroding. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)