Gas guage - Garbage

99' A6 Quattro with less than 30K, the infamous jumpy gas gauge did it to me yesterday. No beep, no instrument warning, just simply ran out of gas. The
check engine light came on with NO indication of empty tank (gauge showed 1/3 of tank-full). Towed it to the shop and they pulled the codes: 1) low gas, and 2) no gas!!!. They had to clean the injectors before they could clear the check engine light. The gas gauge was always jumpy but it never failed to give a warning at the 2 gallon level (not yesterday!) ; I think when it gets cold ( <35 F) the situation is even worse. Cost me pretty $$. From now on I'm relying on the trip odometer only.
The 98 A6 Quattro had a recall from the factory for problems with the gas gauge not giving the correct gas level in the tank. I can not remember the details, but they replaced something in the sensing unit in the gas tank. Might be the same problem. Check with dealership or on-line for all recalls on your vehicle.