Gearbox oil at lower temps

do you drivers in the colder (-5C and more below) countries put a thinner oil in your gearboxes.
In Hampshire UK we were -7C (yea I know it's not that cold) this morning and
my auto box was noticeably not changing into 5th very often.
dj
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:15:49 +0000 (UTC), "Its Only Me Again"

Some autoboxen adjust shifts for engine/tranny temperature, holding off on upper gears until the moving bits have warmed up...

No. Same oil for all temps. And a lot of typical Audi countries have temps well below you 7 degrees. No problems. What you should do in winter is: start your car and drive of at low revs for a while. The old fashion of heating up the engine and then drive doesn't warm the gearbox oil.
Ron
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:15:49 +0000 (UTC), "Its Only Me Again"

I use the same transmission oil all year round. However,I have noticed that my 1998 A6Q (2.8 auto) will delay shifts to higher gears until the engine has warmed up, especially when going uphill. I suspect that this is normal, although it is slightly more noticeable in the winter (-15 to -20C here in Montreal) than in the summer.
-- Jay. (remove dashes for legal email address)