Gearbox oil specificationo

Hello all,
I wanto to change my gearbox oil because I find that it's not very smooth when gear shift. My Audi is a 96 A4 1.8T 5-speed auto-gearbox one (WITHOUT +/-) model. Do you know the specification of gearbox oil
that I use?
thanks,
Ben
Thanks for your advice.
regards, Ben
???...

Tony Johnson wrote:

Not my dealer. I *wanted* them to change the differential & manual transaxle fluid on my 1997 A4 2.8q. They said they've never done it to any of these cars as the quattro system is "sealed for the life of the car" I remain skeptical.

Hmmm, I was looking in the Chilton's book on this--as it's obvious I need to do it myself. I don't recall them specifying a VAG tool.
Vic 2000 Mustang GT suspension upgrades 1997 A4 2.8q http://home.earthlink.net/~jthet
Your transmission will have either a black or green transmission ID tag that will indicate which fluid to use.....cost is $250 to $300 US for either the Shell or the Esso only available from ZF distributors and dealers......see this website http://www.autotransinc.com/zfoil.htm