GUESS WHAT?

It so happens that my car has now been suffering from the "steering rod, upper-control arms" syndrome for a couple of months. Well, it's a '98 so nothing totally unexpected as the forums abound in which messages can be found regarding such a problem.

The most incredible has turned out to be that I vividly remember taking my car in for "defective rod replacement covered under guarantee" or as Americans will have it a recall letter back in 2000.

Now, I've just been to the dealer for visual inspection and confirmation, and it turns out that neither their computer nor the service book have any record or such rod replacement.

Upon inspection the receptionist has very kindly noticed that both steering rods and the four upper control arm rods - read arms, need to be replaced.

The biggest surprise came when he said since he had no record in his computer - yes, it's the same dealer I went to in 2000 - he should have to check for a sticker that should have been placed under the boot floor mat. Guess what? They never actually replaced the rods, but they did tell me they had. It was a very honest man who attended to me at the dealer's today, but he said as the recall "campaign" had ended long ago, the odds are the repair is not going to be covered. More intriguingly yet, my car is now in for another campaign, this time regarding the lower arms. He also admitted that while he had seen a lot of the upper ones replaced, this had never been the case for lower arms. He said he was going to check with the officials and call me back this week, so I'll keep you posted.

Believe me, I really have pumpered my car's suspension and I told the guy that I've never seen or heard of any other street cars - including much cheaper ones - in which their suspension systems didn't last for the life of the car, unless an accident had been involved - excepting dampers, of course.

Reply to
JP Roberts

JP, Geez, ya don't have to shout. "Odds are it will not be covered" - yeah, that's BS. They're hoping you won't put up a fight. Persevere, it'll be covered. Yeah, all the problems with the arms sorta takes the wind out of the greatness of the multi-link suspension they were touting a few years back. But every car design has their own quirks - my parents had a Dorf Taurus - the tranny failed under light use (common failure) - my wife has a Honka CRV - rear calipers siezed (apparently it a common failure). If you look into one of those Lemon Aid books at the bookstore you can find common quirks of various models. My guess is that you'll see "Control arms, timing belt, cam seal failures (non-turbo) and coil pack failures (turbo)" for A4's. Some concerns have been addressed by recalls, others by "silent warrantees". Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - rear transverse link failures (addressed), lousy headlights (to be replaced), door handles (ongoing battle), noisy lifters (nuisance to live with), unintended acceleration (only a 60 Minutes myth) 1980 Audi 5k - door handles (losing battle), rust (ongoing battle), melonheads that keep running into my car (avoid by seldom driving it) 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - crankshaft failure (40:1 premix used), transmission link failure (VW link retrofit used) (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

I have never heard of this, what are the symptoms??

JP Roberts wrote:

Reply to
Jules

Jules, Tires out of alignment, squeaking front end, etc. I may be wrong, but IIRC it's failure of the ball joints - they were originally underdesigned and the replacements are much heavier duty. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k
Reply to
Steve Sears

Cheers for that, I'll sleep better tonight.

FFS, get a life over it will you.

Reply to
Nige

The sooner he sells it and gets a Toyota, the happier everyone will be.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

I can't second that. I remember JP as quite a vivid Audi fan.

Honestly I'd also be pissed off if I'd have taken my car in for a recall a while ago to find out a few years later that they didn't do the work and now want to charge me for it.

In fact something similar did happen to me with the post heating phase of the MAF. But this mod only cost me 20$. So not worth to fight about it.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Lousy reading, and lousy posting

"Nige" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Top posting retard.

Reply to
Nige

You complaining about anyone else's posting is funny.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

I've seen much more complaint than praise. But I've only been lurking for a couple of years.

I'd be angry too, if the work had been only "pretended". But that ultimately falls upon the owner to make sure that happens. Even a cursory look under the car would have showed what parts were new.

I agree that it's a crummy deal, and that Audi made a mistake in engineering originally. But really, what is the good of complaining in usenet? *We* can't do anything for it!

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

No, it's good. it adds to the collective wis-doom the average Joe has access to. It certainly won't make Audi shake and quake, but it will inform others.

Reply to
Jules

It's the contents that matter to me, my friend. Layouts are for marketeers.

Reply to
JP Roberts

There is a saying: "It's not what you say, it's how you say it." Thus, the form of your communication matters just as much, if not more, than it's contents.

Top-posting is rude and lazy. I realize that a lot of newsreaders do it by default, but that doesn't make it right.

If you believe this has anything to do with something other than courtesy and etiquette, then you miss the point entirely.

Proper quoting and trimming eliminate every advantage claimed by top-posters. In addition, it makes posts easier to read, make sense on a stand-alone basis, and eliminates usenet meta-discussions.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

No it isn't. The problem is your perception. Those days are long gone. But then I have a life.

Reply to
Jules

And you waste it by writing in usenet? Wow.

Your comments are exactly the same as everyone else's who seem to find some aspect of etiquette inconvenient.

I will never be able to perceive of a time when things are read from bottom to top.

I will say it again - top-posting is rude and lazy.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

That's not what top posting is about. The quote is usually made for reference, not context and is therefore not required reading.

It's just a different style. What's lazy is you being unable to get used to reading more than one style.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Do you have a problem with people in real life who have different accents to you? Do you ask them to speak in your accent?

Then you'll be gutted to have used the wrong form of "it's" then?

Courtesy is accepting other people's preferences and not whining at them about it.

Top-posting ensures that attributions remain correct in multi-level quotes. See above where it says " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote", whereupon what is quoted directly below is *not* what you wrote, it's what someone else wrote. What you actually wrote appears many lines further down. Top-posting eliminates this problem and therefore renders your above claim to be untrue.

Only to those who prefer that style. People who prefer top-posting find top-posting easier to read.

Top posts generally do not require context, but quote for reference. Note how the one which you are whining about makes a comment about the entire post and then quotes it for reference.

You started this one. Learn to accept more than one style of post and don't be so lazy.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Where can I get a copy of newsgroup etiquette. What is top-posting? Rude and Lazy? Or do you get arrogant by driving Audis. These posts make me want dump my Audi and go back to MB. At least they don't damn you for not being a pro poster.

Reply to
Dennis W

They must be very accepting of nitwits.

Reply to