GUESS WHAT?

Page 2 of 3  
On 7 Apr 2005 21:46:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:


Why don't *you* explain? You can quote these sites it you wish.
One thing to bear in mind. Just because someone writes their opinion in HTML and posts it on a site, doesn't give it any more weight or make it any more correct than anything anyone might write here.
andyt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andy Turner wrote:

Because they are already explained in detail on those sites. No need for me to re-type the stuff.

If there was anywhere on the web that actually said that top-posting was preferrable, or even an acceptable alternative, then you might have a point. Almost all folks who write FAQs and the like ask folks to intersperse or bottom-post.
You can argue until you're blue in the face about top-posting being acceptable. But in the end, there's nothing really that supports that view, either in official FAQs, guides to netiquette or normal logic.
I will continue thinking that top-posters are lazy and rude, and not one word of your opinion on the matter will change that assessment.
Since you must have the last word on this, please do so.
Regards,
E.P.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8 Apr 2005 09:32:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

So now who's lazy? All you have to do is cut and paste and also perhaps offer *your* opinion (rather than someone else's that you've just read).

If I went off and wrote it, would it give it any more authority or gravitas than what I'm saying here? Obviously not. So perhaps consider that when reading what other people put into HTML.

Yes, the types of people that whine about it are also the types of people that run off and create HTML pages about it - it's just another form of whining. The two go hand in hand. Top-posters generally aren't so anal.
You could argue that the prevalence of top-posting comes from the demographics of usenet users having changed over the years. They're not the sorts who are about to start creating websites to back up their preferences - they just get on with it.

How about the legions of people that use it and have no problem with it? It's obviously perfectly acceptable to them. So your assertion "there's nothing really that supports that view", is totally false.

There are no "official" FAQs. No-one who uses usenet has to adhere to any official governing body and therefore no-one is in any position to create anything "official".

Which are simply people's preferences in HTML form of course.

Name me one form of communication that existed before usenet/email where what someone said is quoted back at them by the respondent before they say their reply.

It's lazy that you can only deal with one style of post. It's rude that you expect everyone else to deal with this laziness by only posting in your preferred style.

Why then, when you're willing to state that you will not change your mind regardless of anything that I might go to say, should anyone else change their preferences when you ask them to?
If you're not willing to listen to other people, then you'll do well to convince anyone that they should listen to you.

Hmmm... why must this be about having the last word? It never has been for me. In fact, I'd welcome you to actually put together a decent reply to my points rather than just snipping them all.
andyt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andy Turner wrote:

You are correct. Top-posting is about being lazy and ignoring conventions of language.
Your reply BELOW mine (correct-bottom posting) proves my point.
E.P.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7 Apr 2005 21:48:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thankyou.
Given that the quotes are provided for reference (as you've already acknowledged, above), which conventions of language does it ignore, and in which way is it lazy?
I might suggest that "lazy" is snipping most of someone's post to avoid all their points as you did with my other post.

It doesn't prove it whatsoever, it just shows what preference *I* happen to have. However, it *does* speak volumes that you're trying to claim support for your point in such a clearly false and untrue manner.
andyt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andy Turner wrote:

from
for
Ahhh, I see now. I thought you were talking about top-posting, and not the quoting part.
Proper quoting is necessary for context. You can call that "reference" if you wish, but without quoting, who knows what on earth you're replying about?
Not everyone everywhere runs a threaded newsreader, you know.

Lazy because top-posters *rarely* trim any of the previous stuff out, and because they can't be arsed to move the cursor to make their replies.
Since nobody reads from bottom to top, it ignores that language convention.

They were not germane to the discussion.

Of course it does. If top-posting were OK, then you'd just post over what you were replying to - but since you reply BELOW the quoted text, you obviously prefer bottom-posting.
E.P.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8 Apr 2005 09:11:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's the way in which the sentence in the reply is formed. Remember at school when they tried to get you to reply in complete sentences? Let me give you an example. Someone asks the question, "where can I get a good drill"? An answer that requires context would be "B&Q have them", whereas a reply that doesn't require context would be "I was in B&Q the other day, and they've got loads of drills, I'd recommend you go there".
Y'see the difference? That how people know "what on earth you're replying about".

Yeah, and not everyone prefers bottom posting. You can't have it both ways...

Granted, top-posting has a propensity to create trimming issues, but then you should realise that your beef is with trimming, not top-posting - if that's what you want to argue.

It's not a case of not being arsed, it's a case of it not being relevant to the style.

But a top-post *doesn't* require you to read from bottom to top does it - the quote is there for reference, not context. The new text placed at the top is clearly read in top down fashion, just that the reference is supplied below - as they often are in books (as footnotes).

You mean they were not germane to *your* point of view, so you snipped them all. They were strong points which flattened your stance - hence the snip. Perhaps I'll ask you this again, since you clearly wanted to avoid answering it:
"Do you have a problem with people in real life who have different accents to you? Do you ask them to speak in your accent?"

You have the strangest logic my friend! Top posting *is* OK, but that doesn't mean it has to be my preferred style. In all walks of life, multiple preferences exist together.
Or are you really this bigoted in real life - such that any preference that is not your own is wrong?

Wrong, I *actually* prefer interleaved posting, not bottom posting - as my posts clearly show.
andyt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7 Apr 2005 11:20:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do you have a problem with people in real life who have different accents to you? Do you ask them to speak in your accent?

Then you'll be gutted to have used the wrong form of "it's" then?

Courtesy is accepting other people's preferences and not whining at them about it.

Top-posting ensures that attributions remain correct in multi-level quotes. See above where it says " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote", whereupon what is quoted directly below is *not* what you wrote, it's what someone else wrote. What you actually wrote appears many lines further down. Top-posting eliminates this problem and therefore renders your above claim to be untrue.

Only to those who prefer that style. People who prefer top-posting find top-posting easier to read.

Top posts generally do not require context, but quote for reference. Note how the one which you are whining about makes a comment about the entire post and then quotes it for reference.

You started this one. Learn to accept more than one style of post and don't be so lazy.
andyt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andy Turner wrote:

[snip]
Since you have replied to each of my points *below* what I had written, you proved my point quite nicely.
Thanks.
E.P.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7 Apr 2005 21:40:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ah yes, you appear to have opted to snip all the points and avoid them. Typical behaviour of a top-post whiner.

No haven't whatsoever. I happen to prefer an interleaved style of post, but I'm not so blinkered or stupid as to be unable to handle the styles that other people prefer.
andyt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sorry boys, I didn't mean to restart Star Wars here. But then again, while I accept that etiquette may be an issue on a few particular occasions - not least on those when you're invited by a member of the royalty, I am at the same time curious as to why Microsoft does not address this with a nice piece of software that would do all the "netiquette processing"?
Well, if you happen to strike gold in that arena, remember whose idea it was first!
JP Roberts
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Since when has Microsoft ever produced a 'nice piece of software'?
Outlook - particularly Express - appears to actively discourage netiquette.
There are a number of mail and newsreaders around which do encourage netiquette, by meeting the requirements of GNKSA) Good NetKeeping Seal of Approval). The only such package, for a Windows platform, of which I have any knowledge is Gemini - http://www.intellegit.com/software/gemini /
I have been using the Messenger Pro software, which spawned Gemini, for many years.
--
Peter Bell (Note Spamtrap - To reply, replace 'invalid' with 'bellfamily')

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Good point.

Will take a look at this package.
Thanks, Peter
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JP Roberts wrote:

nice
I suppose that they expect you to use your own noggin a little bit. Or they think whatever is good for e-mail makes sense for usenet.

it was

Not your's, unfortunately.
Here ya go:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/oequotefix.html
You're welcome.
E.P.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Never to be underestimated, but are you completely certain this is going to meet all of your exacting demands?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JP Roberts wrote:

going to

Hmm, you seemed to throw up your hands in defeat at not having the software do *all* of your thinking for you, and I help out by supplying you with something to help out.
Uneducated rudeness is easily excused. Purposeful rudeness (along with purposeful ignorance) has no excuse.
Your sarcasm is noted - it is lucky for both of us that I have not actually demanded anything. Lord help *anyone* who expresses an opinion in usenet, huh?
Again, you're welcome, and BTW, thank you for your proper quoting and posting. I actually *do* appreciate readable posts.
E.P.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Didn't know you were the one who were actually "supplying" this! Funny that you can still find the time to write any software at all, since you seem to be totally devoted to Netiquette.

This suits you very well, since you were the one who purposefully diverted from my original post without caring to start a new thread. Were you trying to avoid some of the "thinking" you referred to in the first paragraph?

Sarcasm is always good whenever it's not bitter.

Notice that one of the possible advantages of top-posting is that if you post in reply to any given paragraph and you make a mistake, the whole post may be rendered unreadable. Another advantage is time saving, especially when the posting is very short and therefore the thread easy to follow.
End of thread as regards me.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You're arguing with someone who will nitpick you into the mud. And once there, easily wear you out because it is familiar territory. Like a child always needing to get the last word in. I have concluded that for some, slavish devotion to top posting is a measure of status in their mind as they are the purists of usenet users. It is a geekdoom honour thing. (notice I said "some")
Notice I said, "wear you down" not 'win'. And he will wear you down. By the geekdoom code, that means he won.
I am amused that we all got suckered into this. It really is funny.
Something I am different about, when writing single digits, in a sentence, I always use the word (five) rather than the numeral (5). Not always, such as if referencing some sort of result. A long time ago I was taught it was proper form. The other way was lazy! This is the first time I have ever mentioned it to anybody. And I do it not to lecture but to point out how we carry our preset preferences around with us.
Good luck if you want to pursue this. Get into the spirit of it all and wear a StarTrek uniform or something?
I am walking away feeling I have a renewed sense of humour.
Oh, and Higgybaby, he still hasn't figured it out every time he drives the red car, something bad happens to him. He is just like all of us!
Peace to all.
JP Roberts wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jules sniped from cover:

You revel in irony, don't you?

By
No, Jules, I "won" before I ever posted a single word on the subject. That you feel the need to use ad hominem comments to try and salve your bruised ego is telling.
You see, the standards for proper posting existed before you or I ever posted a single word in usenet. I realize that this inconvenient fact hurts you deeply, and I can't apologize for pointing it out - facts are facts, and they don't bow to feelings.
Etiquette in all things existed before you and I first recognized the need to follow etiquette. Like proper queue behavior, table manners, courteous driving, etc. Or are you one of those folks who truly doesn't follow accepted standards of behavior? If that is the case, then this is all moot. It would imply that you are an asshole by choice, and no amount of education will do anything to make you polite enough for adults.

What hilarious is that *you* keep going on, and on, and on - as though somehow your own comments about others don't apply to yourself.

How is it rude to write "5" rather than "five"? It isn't? OK, then. But pointing out poor grammer or speling *is* rude.

If that were only true. But it isn't. You are hurt because your shortcomings have been pointed out in public, and you are pouting about it. The facade of nonchalance is easily seen. What's worse, in the face of evidence to the contrary that top-posting is acceptable, you still seem to cling to your false ideas, because you know that you will lose face if you suddenly started doing it the right way. Down deep, you have that sinking feeling because you know I'm right, and you hate it. That is why you feel the need to attack me personally, rather than attempt an air-tight logical construct to prove your own point.
Oh, and hey - after a while of have a rude, lazy and selfish posting style, folks will just killfile you or ignore your posts. Thus making usenet sort of pointless for you. Good luck with that.
E.P. (Ignoring Jules' posts henceforth)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11 Apr 2005 10:22:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Oh gawd... I might have known...

I don't think I'd lose much sleep about losing the readership of the sorts of braniacs that can't figure out more than one style of post and who choose to killfile people rather than figure it out...
andyt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.