GUESS WHAT?

Page 3 of 3
Andy Turner wrote:

making
Oh, I didn't say anything about not being *able* to figure it out.
More like having a preference for easily-readable posts.
Still can't control the urge to post, hmmm? ;)
E.P.
On 11 Apr 2005 11:47:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Please try to appreciate that saying that they're "easily-readable", is *only* your opinion, your preference. Top-posters simply find top-posting easily-readable. The truth is, they're *both* easily readable and if you learn to embrace more than one style of post (as I did many years ago, despite personally preferring a different style), then you'll soon get the hang of it and not even notice the style, but just read what people have to say - which is *surely* what we're all here for.

?! Why is this a problem for you? Please don't tell me that you're another last-word-in junkie...
andyt
On 11 Apr 2005 10:22:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Was this an intentional gag to spell both grammar and spelling incorrectly? Yes, I know he'll *say* it was....
Do you really find someone helping you with your spelling to be rude? Don't you want to learn and get it right? I know I wouldn't mind. There's no point pointing out a typo, but if I were to consistently spell something wrong, I see no harm in pointing having it pointed out.
andyt
JP Roberts wrote:

supplying
Did I not search out the link to give to you? What could possibly give you the silly idea that *I* wrote it - I have not even implied such a thing.

with
diverted
Starting a new thread for a metadiscussion is rude in and of itself. THere's some education - now you have no excuses there.

and
you
whole post

As opposed to posting a reply so far removed from the being replied to? Uh, no.

follow.
Yes, classic MFFY. "If it's good for me, great! If it's rude, who cares - it's good for me!"
Your "time savings" then becomes a time cost for someone else unless EVERYBODY posts the same way. And they don't, so there's only time savings for *you*.
Add "selfish" to lazy and rude.
E.P.
Your insults only add to your status.

JP Roberts wrote:

With you?
Who cares?
E.P.
I certainly don't anymore and that's all.

You're arguing with someone who will nitpick you into the mud. And once there, easily wear you out because it is familiar territory. Like a child always needing to get the last word in. I have concluded that for some, slavish devotion to bottom posting is a measure of status in their mind as they are the purists of usenet users. It is a geekdoom honour thing. (notice I said "some")
Notice I said, "wear you down" not 'win'. And he will wear you down. By the geekdoom code, that means he won.
I am amused that we all got suckered into this. It really is funny.
Something I am different about, when writing single digits, in a sentence, I always use the word (five) rather than the numeral (5). Not always, such as if referencing some sort of result. A long time ago I was taught it was proper form. The other way was lazy! This is the first time I have ever mentioned it to anybody. And I do it not to lecture but to point out how we carry our preset preferences around with us.
Good luck if you want to pursue this. Get into the spirit of it all and wear a StarTrek uniform or something?
I am walking away feeling I have a renewed sense of humour.
Oh, and Higgybaby, he still hasn't figured it out every time he drives the red car, something bad happens to him. He is just like all of us!
Peace to all.
JP Roberts wrote:

Andy Turner wrote:

Since there isn't anything within them that's germane to my point, I'm not going to reply to them. A waste of my time.

written,
Of course you have. You used the natural style that follows language conventions - invented long before the existence of the Roman Empire. Top-to-bottom reading.
In addition, it's accepted usenet etiquette. Top-posting isn't.
E.P.
On 8 Apr 2005 09:15:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ah, at least you've *admitted* it by saying you've snipped it because it's not germane to *your* point. My points were strong so you snipped them. It's typical usenet behaviour, you're not the first, you won't be the last. For example, you claimed:
"Proper quoting and trimming eliminate every advantage claimed by top-posters"
I showed you how this was not true, you couldn't argue against it (hey - it wasn't germane to *your* point, right...), so you snipped it.
Don't assume that people can't see you doing this.

No, really I haven't. However much you ache to falsely claim this support, it simply isn't the case.
The idea that me having one preference somehow means that I discount other people's preferences is quite frankly bizarre and you're not doing your argument any favours by claiming this. In all walks of life, multiple preferences exist alongside one another and to choose and adopt one is *not* to consider any other preference as invalid.

Which is of course what happens in the text of a top-posted message, except the references are supplied below or after - as they often are in printed text, as footnotes or appendixes.

By people who prefer it.

Of course it is, by people who prefer it.
There doesn't need to be any rules here, just a few different styles. Get used to learning a few different tricks instead of expecting everyone to adopt the style that *you* prefer.
andyt