Headlight adjustment

I'm in the UK and have a new shape A3.

I'm shortly going to be taking the car over to the continent, and thus driving on the wrong side of the road ;)

Now a long time back I heard that certain Audis had the ability to adjust the headlights for driving on the left or right. Is this the case with all Audis, and if so how can I find out how to do it?

It sounds unlikely tbh, but I was just hoping that there was an adjustment knob/lever I could move rather than sticking tape or beam benders on the headlight lenses.

Reply to
Toby Groves

I understand that it can be done for Xenon HID headlights but I've no idea where the lever is hidden on the latest (8P) A3s. The handbook states that the dealer can make the adjustment for you but, possibly, you'd be charged a high fee at 80ukp per hour.

I don't think that the standard (filament bulb) headlights can be adjusted in this way, BICBW.

Reply to
David Nesbitt

Well, you can adjust the height of the beam with the plastic adjustment screws which should be visible at the top of the headlight housings once you pop the hood. I'm guessing you'd want to lower your left headlight beam so that it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic when you're driving on the right side of the road.

But as far as flipping the asymmetric headlight pattern around, I don't believe that's possible without actually replacing the headlight housings for the ones that are used in the rest of Europe.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

You can do it on my 98 A6 non Xenon.

There is a lever which you get to by taking the headlight back cover off. (As when changing a bulb) If you move it over a slider cuts off part of the beam. (You can see it working if you do it in the dark with the beams against wall).

I've used it on the continent and had no drivers flashing at me so it seems to work!.

Reply to
Fred