headlights don't work on '99 A4

Hello,
I've been experiencing strange behavior with the headlight switch on my '99 A4. When I switch the lights ON, all lights (including dash interior) work except for the actual headlamps. When I pull the
signaling stick back to flash the high-beams, they work also.
The odd thing is that once the car is warmed after about 15 minutes, the headlamps work fine. I started playing around with the actual headlight switch, pushing it forward and back and found that when I pushed it forward (practically against its will :) the headlamps turned on.
What could be causing this behavior? Is the switching mechanism in the dashboard broken, and if so how could that possibly happen?
Thanks!
--Ted
tis is almost certinley the switch . i have saw it happen many times with older audis . replace the switch !! fault cured . let me know how you get on , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com btw look for the switch contacts , 35 and 36 , and by pass them if you can