Heavy clutch pedal in '86 Turbo Quattro

Hi, I've got a '86 5000 turbo quattro which has a "heavy" to depress clutch pedal, is this normal? Is it a sport clutch or something? Otherwise the clutch is fine.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
cp
When they get worn to nearly the end that happens. If you wait to replace it the potential result is that the clutch pedal will break (a fairly common problem on the T44s).
cp wrote:

On an 87 4000 Quattro, the heavy clutch caused the firewall to crack. I had to reweld the firewall for the hydraulic system to work correctly.
:-))

hmmm but it still grips quite strong and 'early'...

My clutch of my 87 200 quattro (NL) is also very heavy to depress. Since 186000 km it is heavy and now 2,5 years later and 249000 km it is still heavy but still working
Mark

Isn't there such over-center spring in this car? There was one in mine and took it out. If you want to exercise your leg muscles when driving in a traffic jam and want a less stiff clutch the just remove it. It is some black cylinder that is mounted at the other end of the clutch pedal. It is basically some stiff spring that helps you keeping the clutch easier pressed, but to press it initially you need some extra force... That's why it is so stiff. After I replaced the clutch plates, pressure group and clutch cable the clutch was still stiff. The final 'breakthrough' was that the clutch pedal broke just around some silly useless hole in it and since then I'm driving without that spring.
Al