Heed help figuring out what is wrong

I have an 98 a4 quattro 1.8t when I go to crank the car it turns over and begins to idoil then it loses power and completly turns the car off When you give it gas sometimes it will start to rev up
Other times the rpms drop and the vehicle turns off Ive got it to completly turn over and managed to drive it around for about 2 hours until it started puttering and didnt want to stay turned please help
Thread archive:
audiwynne wrote:

center pull the engine error codes in order for us to begin to guess at the problem. Many auto parts stores can do this too.
engine light on? does that light ever come on when the other lights come on?
look for vacuum hoses off or broken. hear any hissing while the engine is running? check the big hoses from the turbo to the throttle body at the engine's intake manifold. how does the brake pedal feel? hard to press/stop?
maybe low fuel pressure due to clogged fuel filter how many miles on car/engine?
maybe coolant temperature sensor. have you installed new spark plugs and air filter?