Hello...new poster here, with (surprise!) a question!

I'm currently looking at a 1993 Audi 90s. It has some pretty significant problems, but the people are selling it for a ridiculous price so I'm terrifically tempted.

First and biggest issue is both catalytic converters need to be replaced. From the research I've done, this seems to be a pretty standard thing for these cars at around 120,000/miles (this one is at

122,000). Secondly, there is some kind of "unknown" issue with the brakes; there's no noise, no pulling or anything, they just kind of don't so much work. They *work* insofar as they will stop the car if you literally stand on them, but not otherwise. There's also some oil leakage, nothing terribly significant from what I understand, but enough to be pointed out. A couple minor problems...heater control switch needs to be replaced, air conditioning needs to be charged, etc.

What I'm wondering is this; is this something I can take care of and get at least a couple good years out of the car, or is this indicative of many more problems ahead? What I mean is...does this sound like something that's more of a normal set of issues with a car (particularly this one) at this age, or do these symptoms spell the decline of the car overall?

I'm (clearly! :D) no expert on such things, and it's wholly possible this isn't a question that can even be answered in this type of setting...but I thought it was worth a shot. If I've left out anything that would be of help in answering please feel free to ask and I'll try to give any other info I can.

Thanks!

Reply to
Method Man Ray

Cats are probably just a straight replacement. What's the condition of the rest of the exhaust system? Might be worth changing the whole system

Brakes may just need freshening up i.e. new fluid, pads. The flexible brake lines could well be past it by now and if the disks need replacing it could get expensive. Also, the calipers could probably do with an overhaul.

When you say oil leakage is that related to the brakes or are you talking engine/gearbox?

Heater switch should be simple. Aircon may be expensive. Does it blow any cold air? If it's been without gas for a long time then the seals may have perished. If you get it recharged then all the gas may just leak out again. It happened to a colleague of mine. Can't remember what needed to be replaced but he ended up having to pay out ~£400 instead of £80 for the recharge. If the compressor is knackered then you may be looking at big money. Ours went on our Bora and would have cost £900 was it not for the warranty.

No disrespect intended but you may be better to stay away from this car and buy something with less faults! You could be looking at a couple of grand to put everything right - is it worth the hassle?

I'd say the bottom line is that this car sounds neglected so who knows what else is wrong.

HTH Dave

Reply to
Dave

I'd have to agree. If they were giving it away for free, and the body was pristine, I'd give a go at putting it right. Otherwise, stay away. :)

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

Ray, Run away...don't walk!!!! Most Audis that are neglected by their owners are money pits. I should know - I bought my '87 5ktq from someone who knew "Oil goes in there" and little else about the car. Since then I've been continually fixing things. see:

you want a decent Audi, do your homework on the quirks on each model, andlook to places like Audifans where many sellers keep a huge file of recordson their cars. Many records means a thorough owner, means fewer suprises,means more happy motoring.Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears