help!

Took delivery of 2000 audi a6 1.9 tdi over the weekend and I'm getting

20mpg!!! Even though I've been driving it REALLY carefully. What the hell could be wrong with it. Anybody know what could compromise fuel consumption *that* much? Any ideas?
Reply to
bob_pro1

wrote

Failed MAF (mass airflow) sensor? Does the car feel sluggish? If you drove it "REALLY carefully", then you probably didn't even notice. :)

Also, what maintenance has been performed prior to you taking delivery? Have things like air filter and fuel filter been replaced?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

On the few occasions I have had to put my foot down to overtake it didn't appear to be sluggish.

It's due its 80k service so filters haven't been replaced yet. Is replacing these likely double my mpg though? The reason I bought a diesel was fuel economy. I was expecting 40 - 45 mpg not the 20 or even less that I am getting. Its got a months warranty from the garage but they're being less and less helpful and I'm not expecting them to do anything about it. If it does land on me to fix it I'm just wondering what kind of expense I could be looking at. :(

Reply to
bob_pro1

On 22 Nov 2005 02:03:12 -0800, bob snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote about his

2000 audi a6 1.9 tdi:

Where on earth did you ever get this crazy idea you could get 40-45 mpg with your Audi?!?! The brand is A U D I, not H O N D A or T O Y O T A . Better yet, get one of these:

Realistically, you'll be very lucky to get 28 mpg on the highway with that car; I'm pleased when I hit 26/27 mpg with my 98.5 A4 2.8. My gas mileage consumption has been very stable the entire 93k miles we've had the car: 23-25 mpg city/mixed driving, slightly worse in the winter (when temps drop below 30F). It did improve a tad in the past few months after its 90k maintenance appointment at the dealer, where all the filters and sparkplugs were changed out (thank god the sparkplug wires were all still good; $50 per each is spendy!). The car is a joy to drive and has power to spare, even though it's entirely stock.

Reply to
KLS

Err... have you actually seen a diesel-engined Audi, let alone driven one?

40mpg should be easily obtainable with the A4 1.9TDi.
Reply to
Peter Bell

It's a 1.9 *diesel*. 40 - 45 is the expected mpg for the car. There's something wrong with it somewhere.

Reply to
bob_pro1

Wow, 40 - 45 mpg in the A6? That's pretty good - and that's on Imperial gallons, whch are slightly smaller than US gallons.... Man, I wish we could buy those in the US.

Re: the mileage - if you take a look a ways down this page -

You'll see this statement -

1.9TDI PD 130bhp diesel: 0-60 10.2 seconds; top speed 127mph; combined mpg 49.6; CO2 emissions 154g/km (manual, but Multitronic will be similar); Emissions Category EU 3.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

"KLS" wrote

The world doesn't begin and end in America.

The OP is in the UK. 40 mpg (UK) is equivalent to about 33 mpg (US). This kind of mileage should be easily attained by the 1.9 diesel engine. Comparing it to your 2.8 V6 gasoline engine is like comparing apples to oranges.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

FYI. I have Volvo 850TDI, wit an audi 2.5TDI engine (103KW). Avg. yearly consumption of only 6.47 litres/100 kms.

Very happy with that :-)

BTW, - I got this

Litres Per 100k: 6.47 = Miles Per Gallon (U.S.): 36.35

Reply to
Drnya

wrote

Well, replacing the filters may help some, but it's definitely not going to double your mileage. Good place to start would be to hook up the car to a computer (a VAG tool or similar) and pull the error codes stored in there - this may give you an indication of what is going on.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

If you have DIS you should see up to 50 mpg, I have driven the boss's old

1.9TDI loads of times, and on a run @ 70mph the most I have seen is 54mpg, it's also the same engine as in the Passat which again can touch 50mpg with care :) (these are av mpg not instant)
Reply to
Ronny

They are both "round" though :)

Reply to
Ronny

DIS?

50 mpg is what I was hoping for. It's the reason I decided to ditch my much loved A4 petrol. OK the new A6 sounds like a bus...ok a small bus. But I do love it anyway. The extra space is to die for. :)
Reply to
bob_pro1

DIS - Driver information System

Shows your MPG etc

Reply to
Ronny

Ahhh. I see. Unfortunately I don't have it. I just have the basic DIS which shows what needs to be changed and when.

Reply to
bob_pro1

Nope. Imperial gallons are 20% bigger than US gallons.

Reply to
Peter Bell

My A3 TDi 110 *never* does less than 45-47 mpg, even driven quite hard.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Try asking the question at

Does it smoke much? Could it be a leak?