Help...Headlights INOP

Folks, my wife called last last night, and she's got a problem. The only way for her to get any headlights at all is to keep the highbeam lever pulled aft. We're talking a 1995 S-6. Pushing it forward does NOT turn on the highbeams and positioning the switch to on will not turn on the low beams. Panel lights work fine she says.

Could this be a bad switch in the steering column? Or maybe a fuse some where? I'd like to help the mechanic out on where to start in the event she takes it to a non-Audi type.

thanks,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Semon

Mark - The obvious first thing to check is the fuses - and then any relays associated with the headlights. Remove the connector from the back of the lights and check the voltage to the low beams. If there's voltage, possibly she hit a huge bump and busted both of the low beam filaments (they're weak when on, thus the lows would go from a shock before the highs would when running on low only). If there's no voltage, then follow the wires - it may be the switch. BTW, if she uses the "flash to pass" position to drive, she may melt the connectors in the column switch. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k
Reply to
Steve Sears

Mark,

The hi-beams should stay on if the headlights are turned on. That is, turn on headlights (even if they aren't working) then push the turning signal stalk away to turn on the high beams. May be a relay problem if that doesn't work.

Tony Ottawa '96 S6

Reply to
Tony Curran