help: lower control arm on A4

hi all

car: 97 R-reg A4 1.8 138k miles

2 years and 15,000 miles ago, i had the problem with front lower control arm bushings on my car, causing it to groan and squeak everytime i hit a bump or turn the wheel. had both front ones replaced - oem part

Now the problem is back! only on left side at present.

question is: can i just replace the bushings w/o changing the whole arm? will this be an MOT failure in the UK?

thanks to all

Reply to
Avi

Are you sure it's the bushes? I thought it was the balljoints seizing up that usually causes A4 creaks.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

thanks chris....

it may well be the balljoints... i am not particularly sure myself.

but would you expect it to seize up so soon under normal conditions?

Reply to
Avi

Nope can't replace bushings and ball joints separate from arm : (

OTOH

Common problem with the A4. Drill the nylon with small drill and inject grease with a needle point attachment for grease gun. Use needle adaptor for gun to inject grease into the rubber ball joint boots.

Reply to
Tony Johnson

I can confirm that that will work, although mine were replaced under warranty, a friend had the same problem, and just squirted oil into the bushes.

Reply to
Tom Jeffs

Mine where making noises when turning the steering, the dealer told me all 8 would need replacing, which I did not do, 87, 000 miles, the car failed the mot & only 2 where replaced by a non Audi garage, no more strange noises, think they where the bottom rear ones,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s