Help.. oil leak

I am new to this group and need some advice, I have a 2002 Audi A-4 Quarto 1.8 automatic transmission, sport model. The car has 53,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer for ruff running and he replaced two vacuum lines and the mass air flow sensor. When I picked it up he said I needed to have the cam shaft seals replaced and the propeller seal replaced. About 1,500 worth after spending 400.00 today. Just sucks it happens three thousand miles out of warranty. what can I expect to repair next if I decide to keep this car for another 40,000 miles. Just can't decide weather to trade it in or keep it a few more years.

Thanks in advance for your help Gary

Reply to
Gary Harris

My 2.8 leaked oil and the dealer quoted me $875. to replace the cam adjuster seal (common problem). I found an independent, that works on Audis frequently who replaced the cam adjuster seal, cam seals, valve cover seals and spark plugs for $300. It's hard to find a competent independent, buts it's harder to spend an outrageous amount at the stealership. I have 75,000 miles on my A4 and have also replaced the differential seals. Good luck.

Reply to
Dennis Wyatt

What? You mean you aren't impressed by the Audi external lubrication system? I think they aquired the technology from the Brits. ;-) Anyway, another poster suggested getting the work done at a good independent and I would second that motion. $1500 sounds pretty high for just the oil leak. I think I paid about $400 on my 2.8 a year ago at an independent Audi mechanic. In the next 40,000 miles you will be doing the timing belt (I did mine at

70,000). When you do that, you might as well do the water pump, themostat, tensioners because of the labor involved to do these on an individual basis. Independent cost around $800; dealer over $1000. Also, brake pads and rotors all the way around if you haven't already done them. I also had to replace the radiator at about 67,000 miles so that's a possibility. Good luck.
Reply to
Ian S

I "third" the motion of finding an indendent shop.... Let us know where you're located and perhaps someone on the group can point you in the right direction. At any rate, stay away from the dealer in the future!

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

It is a good idea to be on good terms with the dealer. Once in while they can be used for diagnosis and you will have an estimate to compare an independents price. I found "my independent" by talking to a used car dealer that specialized in VW and Audi.

Reply to
Dennis Wyatt