Help wanted : Audi A6 1998 1.8T Auto stalling when hot

When the engine is hot and I am trying low speed maneouvres, the engine stalls.

If I place the car in neutral and rev the engine and let it settle, it hunts to the idle speed, but intitially it hunts too low. In the case where it is in Drive at the low rev range the engine can stall. Usually happens when pulling away at junctions or traffic lights.

This is not a problem when the engine is cold.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Cheers Grem

Reply to
Gremilex

It was the air mass flow meter - (I think that is what they said), potentiometer was not working.

Reply to
Gremilex

Grem, You wouldn't have a K&N air filter installed by any chance, would you? Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k
Reply to
Steve Sears

Nedavno Gremilex pise:

| > When the engine is hot and I am trying low speed maneouvres, the | > engine stalls. | >

| It was the air mass flow meter - (I think that is what they said), | potentiometer was not working.

Not working completely, or not working properly (I have similar problem on different model)?

Reply to
Yvan

Reply to
David

Filters are standard parts no K&N AFAIK. Symptoms are still there, the air mass flow fix has certainly improved the performance, but there is still some hunting for idle when cold but slight improvement when hot.

The garage inform me that there are no other faults being shown on diagnostics.

The symptoms are a damped oscilation until the throttle finds its correct position. My uninformed guess is that it could be a feedback a sensor problem.

Someone mentioned a sticky throttle body, I wonder if it could be mechanical.

Thanks for all your replies.

Gremilex

Reply to
Gremilex