HELP with 1983 Audi 4000s 4cyl gas clutch

OK I need someone experienced with switching the clutch and possibly flywheel over. NOTE: Only talking about 4 cylinder gas engines (1.7L & 1.8L)!

I have a 1983 Audi 4000s 4cyl gas engine. (Clutch disc should measure

7-7/8" across) I can find the larger 1984 Audi 4000s 4cyl gas engine clutch kit easier (disc measures 8-1/4") I will assume that the spline size is the same (same 24 spline count) I think I have also installed a 1982 Quantum transmission into a 1987 Audi 4000s with only the CV Joint flanges needing changing.

Question is......can I use my 1983 flywheel or are the bolt holes different on the pressure plates. I am leaning towards believing it is an easy switch but want to ask here first. Can that 3/8" make that much of a difference?

I am currently trying to research the flywheels.

TIA later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I didn't have the experience myself so asked a friend who has cranked a lot of wrenches on the '80s series Audis for fun and profit.

His suggestion is to just get a 2.0L and drop it in with the trans but if you want tot do the clutch on your 1.7 he suggests getting a 1.8 clutch and flywheel and put them in. He says that the bolt pattern for all the four cylinders are the same.

He says that the 1.8 flywheel will be needed to match the size difference of the clutch plate compared to the 1.7 flywheel.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
TonyJ

Thanks TonyJ. I have researched the flywheel today and "supposedly" it is the same for the

1.7l (200mm clutch) and 1.8l (210mm) engines. Now this might be an updated flywheel to accomodate both clutch kits. I dunno! I will find out if the 210mm clutch kit actually fits my flywheel that originally had a 200mm clutch kit. I just hoped that there was someone here that has done this very thing. ;-) I guess my Audi is just too old!

I have already installed a 1.8l engine out of a Rabbit GTi back in 1991, which has nice torque to me. It has always run very smooth and strong but now my clutch pressure plate is old and I am just tired of lubing it since it is probably rusty and hard to disengage. I have a very strong left leg though! lol Also my pilot bearing is probably shot after 15-16 years and 138K miles.

Yeah I thought about the 2.0l engine or even the 2.0l 16V engine but the body on my '83 Audi 4000S is getting old and needs some rust repairs. Still looks good but I know it will need some rust work if I keep it. I actually have leads for any of these 2.0l engines cheap too, but I would really love to update my entire Audi to something with a 1.8t or V6. :-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

What I really want to know is how your door handles are working on that car. I had to give up Helga, my 1985 4000S, in 1999 for a 1995 VW Passat VRX for a number of reasons, one of them being that her door handles were getting really hard to operate. Crappy design. The guy who bought her broke a few of them and then ended up banging her around on some concrete guardrails on an inner-city highway one winter, so RIP. She only had about 130k miles on her, by my reckoning. I loved that car: my parents ordered her from Audi in Germany, drove her around there in the summer of 1985, and brought her over to Maryland. I finally pried her from my mother's clutches after

12 years. The clutch on that car was factory and worked ok, but it was never as nice as the factory clutch on my 98.5 Audi that I'm driving now with almost 107k miles.

Haven't gotten to my trunk lock yet; gonna get the Marvel Mystery Oil tomorrow on the way home from work.

Reply to
KLS

Where do you live, Dave? I've got an '84 4KQ (Tornado Red/brown mouse fur) I'd really like to get out of my barn. Decent shape except for a bad clutch throwout arm (or pivot; I wasn't in the mood to pay ~$600 to yank the gearbox to find out which). 232K miles when parked about

6 years ago. Can you come to Wisconsin and take it?

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; don't need that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I think in my 16 years of ownership I might have bought 2 of the door handles. I keep them lube when they just start getting stiff.

Your hydraulic clutch activation system is usually easier and smoother to operate than the cable. Although I did work on a Quattro with a pressure plate that was so stiff that the clutch master cylinder was cracking the firewall. 8^o

I have also used some other 'spray' lubes such as ProLong, STP(?), but my favorite is DuraLube since it seemed to last the longest. But I think that my favorite is very hard to find nowadays. :-(

I love my simple Audi!

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I live close! ;-) I live in Chicago so I can't be too far from you C.R.

Scares me when you say "brown mouse fur"! 8^o I have seen vehicles with RATs, bees, and maybe squirrels as the inhabitants. I prefer good rust-free bodies.

Got a picture or two? I might be interested since I still like the old body style. ;-)

thanks, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

It's about 2 1/2 hours. An hour north of Milwaukee.

Yeah, I know. But it's stock. Brown pinstripe. In a red car. Ick! Durable, though. It might be a little thin on the bolsters, but I don't think it's got any holes at all.

Man, now I gotta go out there into the barn? I'll give it a shot. But know that it hasn't been washed in over half a decade. Covered - sometimes - but not clean by any means. Shoot me your full email address if yours is munged. Otherwise, I can just send what I shoot.

-- C.R. Krieger

Reply to
C.R. Krieger