help with a '91 200TQ

Hi,
I'm having a slight problem with my 91 200TQ and wanted to find out if anyone else has experienced it, or know what I should look at next. Very sporadically, the car is giving me a stutter while I'm driving. It doesn't
happen consistantly, so I can't duplicate it on demand. It will happen in every gear, with the lower gears being much more pronounced that the higher, and it will happen when I'm accelerating, or cruising. I can't think of anyway to effectively explain it, so the best I can do is give similarities. It's sort of like when your arm and foot aren't quite in sync and you shift poorly; it's kind of like when you're in too high of a gear for the speed you're going; it's kind of like the engine misses a few beats while you're driving along. From what I have been able to figure out, it seems to happen in the low to mid 2000rpm range. With the exception of when it does it when I'm starting to go, my foot is off the clutch (when I'm starting to go and it does it, the stutter is pretty big, just like a new-to-a-standard-tranny driver {I've been driving standards for over 15 years btw}).
Now for what has all ready been tried. The fuel pump is around 1 1/2 years old, the fuel filter is around 2 months old, the timing belt was changed a couple weeks ago, and it was tuned up last week. It has been doing this very sporadically for quite some time now, probably around a year. We had a rainy spell a few weeks ago in New Hampshire, and it seemed to be happening a lot more often then. The next thing I'm going to try is a fuel system cleaner, thinking it may be the injectors.
Any other thoughts of what could be causing this? Any ideas of what to try if the fuel cleaner doesn't work?
TIA and Enjoy Bill
My first thought was fuel filter but you changed it 2 months ago. The symptoms sound just like fuel filter problems in two of my type 44s. New fuel pump like mine a month ago (pierburg). It could also be the infamouse flaking lining that the type 44s experience but the coating was corrected in 89 or 90. Hmmm.
- Bad check valve in the fuel line?
- Heat soaked speed sensor or crank position sensor on the bell housing?
- I don't think that the TQs have a hall effect module in the distributor ...
- Fuel pump relay intermittent open?
- Corroded connector to the ICU in the drivers side kick panel?
- Bad ignition switch?
- Bad plud wires?
Tough one.
Tony '91 100Q 5spd NA NF bill wrote:

Could be early signs of fuel pump failure. If everything else checks out, might be time for a new pump. Be sure it is not the fuel pump relay first, though.
Is the fuel pump particularly noisy when the problem occurs?
--
Stephen Clark
Bill, Tony is referring to the fuel tank lining (for corrosion protection) in the earlier audis that often came off in pieces and starved the fuel pump (which would lead to a burnt out fp). When the pump was replaced, you would see the culprits in the bottom of the tank, and encrusted on the fuel pump screen (pre-filter) - the oft-repeated suggestion was to clean out what you could (heh heh, don't use a Shop Vac.....), and then remove the pre-filter screen and let the big underhood filter look after the remaining grunge. When this hesitation happens, have you tried pulling over and reading the engine fault codes from the computer (actually, the computer's memory in your car does not erase, so you could check it now)? Check out how to do this with the related section in Scott Mockry's web site: http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/20vtecu.htm - he has lots of trouble shooting info there. As Tony and Stephen mentioned, the fuel pump relay is also a common culprit - often repaired by simply disassembling and resoldering (ie, remelting the solder) the spade connector connections. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Re: help with a '91 200TQ
> very sporadically for quite some time now, probably around a year. We had a > rainy spell a few weeks ago in New Hampshire, and it seemed to be happening > a lot more often then. The next thing I'm going to try is a fuel system
Try filling a plastic spray bottle with a salt water solution. Then spray it on your spark plug wires, coil, and distributor cap. With the engine running of course and see if the ignition system is shorting out due to secondary ignition leakage.
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org
Re: Re: help with a '91 200TQ
g 27 2003 12:49 pm
> about the fuel accumulator, checking the spark plug wires (which weren't > changed during the tune up, if these are bad, does anyone know where I can > get them for less than $400 for the set of 5?), checking vacuum lines, and > ignition lines. I'll show off my lack of knowledge here, are spark plug
I just purchased a set of bosch plug wires for my 87 5000 for 45$ my cost. They even have the plastic tube already on the wires. These were purchased from a friend that owns an independent shop. The price was his cost. So around 80$ to 95$ would be a good retail price.
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org
Would using salt water do something different than just using water? I did spray the plug wires, didn't spray the distributor cap though. It didn't make a difference.
Thank you Bill
message to alt.autos.audi on Tue Aug 26 200308:53 pm

In humid night just look under the bonnet with engine running for blueish glow. If you see it it indicates surface currents on the ignition cables. Most likely too wide spark plug gap. Replace with original (avoid fancy platinum plugs).
message to alt.autos.audi on Sat Aug 30 200311:32 am