Hesitationn at highway speeds

I have a 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro and I am having hesitation problems but only at highway speeds. It is only happening after slowing down and trying to accelerate up to speed again. The best way for me to describe this
hesitation is that the car feels like it is stuttering and it also feels as if we are driving on a grooved road(feels bumpy). The car accelerates fine from a stand still. I had a mechanic at a STS Tire Center tell me I need to bring the car back to Audi because they need to "reset the computer"? Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I hope he is right because I can't deal with a major transmission problem. Any feedback would be greatly welcomed!
Thanks in advance, John

Happened to me once - just as you describe. Got really concerned about the vibration. Cause: Only a couple of litres of gas left.... I'm not suggesting that you've run out of gas all the time, but it sounds to me that you might have a problem with the fuel pump/filter/recirc system which is worse when you get a 'wave' in the tank caused by slowing down. As you may be aware of, the quattro models have a recirc pump to compensate for the tank hanging down on either side of the rear axle. Mine was whining and had to be changed after only 40-50 kkm.
Rune S. -98 A6 A/Q 2.8 Tip