High rpm on S4

Hi,
It seems the new S4 is a high revving engine (7000 rpm redline) even though it has a 4.2L V8. The 6sp version goes to 3100rpm at 80mph.
Is it any different for automatic ones?

"S4fan" wrote

That's not really that high revving, unless you're used to some old american pushrods. My 1.8T is at 3000 rpm @ 65 mph in last gear (5th).

Yes, the gearing is different: http://www.audiworld.com/model/s4/04/s4avant.pdf
If my math is correct, you should be at around 90 mph at 3000 rpm with automatic in last gear (6th).
Cheers,
Pete
Pete wrote:

I hate my 1.8TQ on the motorway, at 60-65mph its at 3000 rpm which is far too high, I just wish I got the 6 speed version.
Should be geared better imo, my 2.6 was only slightly better, I have driven a 1.3 fiesta that cruised at a lower rpm at 65.

Yup, that's definitely a high revving engine. The upside is - you don't have to downshift to pass at that speed. :)

Some people have swapped the 2.8 tranny into the 1.8T (B5), but I guess it's not worth doing unless your tranny is dead and you need to get a new one anyway.
Cheers,
Pete
Pete wrote:

Thanks. Well, a friend of mine told me his 330i does less than 3000 at 80mph.
My 1.8T is at 3000 rpm @ 65 mph in last gear (5th).

Really?? I recently drove a 2005 1.8T automatic. I remember it was doing 3000rpm at 80mph (100rpm less).

This explains the higher fuel efficiency with an automatic.

Thanks,

My 1.8t turns 2800 rpm at 80 mph - the 6-speed is wonderful! 38 mpg then too!
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

... and the 4.2L V8 in the new RS4 is rev-limited at 8250rpm!

Don't know the answer to your question but I read the new RS4 is going to rev past 8,000 rpm...