How many miles on a tank? A4 1.9 / 2.5 TDI

Hi,
I am thinking of changing my BMW 330ci Sport for something a bit more practical like an A4 Avant diesel, the main factor is how many miles on average it will do on a full tank of fuel?
My BMW takes between 40 and 45 of Shell Optimax, on which it will go to about 300 miles, 350-400 if it's all motorway, I assume the diesel will be *miles* better!!!
Cheers
Daz
My A4 1.9 TDi Avant generally does around 47mpg, but will manage around 52 taking it easy on the motorway. Tank is about 14 gallons (66 litres) so generally expect well over 550 miles to a tank (you don't want to run it dry). However, as you'll see from my posting below "rusty Audi" I'd seriously recommend staying with BMW, as the product and after sales service are *miles* better!!!