How Much Does My A4 Weigh?

I own a 1997 A4 1.8l Quattro 5spd, purchased used 6 months ago. Inside the frame on the driver's door a factory label states:

GVWR LBS 4343 GVWR FRONT 2161/REAR 2535

Now the second set of numbers don't total the first - assuming these are the weights for the vehicle and not something less obvious (to me anyway). I have difficulty accepting that a car roughly the size of Civic weighs as much as a 1995 Impala SS. Audi's website lists the current A4 1.8l Quattro

6spd at 3406lbs. The only thing that would would separate my A4 from it's brethren of the same year is additional emissions controls as it was originally a California car (now Florida). Obviuosly the Quattro system makes it heavier than a FWD car of it's size - but over 4000 pounds?

Any ideas?

Saul

Reply to
S. Brook

"S. Brook" wrote

3241 lbs, as per Model Guide on AudiWorld.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

That is not the weight of the car, but its maximum carrying weight. GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. The total GVWR is 4343, while the front axle can carry no more than 2161 lbs and the rear no more than 2535 lbs. If the weight of the vehicle is 3300 pounds (guessing), you can carry no more than 1343, which translates to four big folks and their luggage, or Day Tripper and me with our fishing gear. d;o)

Dave '03 RS-6 Avus/Ebony

Dave LaCourse