HOW2 measure alternator output on '90 Turbo 200 ?

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, a 110v alternator.

What is the easiest way to measure

current & voltage

output from the alternator, please ?

Thank you, Courtney

Reply to
Courtney Thomas

Your alternator is the 110 Amp version.

You could check voltage output with a volt meter on the main connection on the back of the alternator when it is idling (dangerous). Then check voltage and the jumper terminal just in front of the air intake box / air filter. Next check the voltage on the battery under the rear seat. It should be nearly the same as the alternator or jumper terminal. If it isn't you have a bad / corroded splice under the carpet by the passenger kick panel.

If the battery light is not on on the dash when it is running you probably do not have a problem. If the light is on you could replace the brushes and voltage regulator in the back of the alternator. Easy and cheap - just two small bolts.

What causes you to think you have a problem?

T> I assume, perhaps incorrectly, a 110v alternator.

Reply to
Tony

Thanks Tony.

I tightened the alternator belt but the dash meter shows just over 12v which I assume is the voltage output to the battery. I charged up the battery before tightening up the alt belt. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the battery goes dead again since I'd like to NOT crawl under now that it's about 95 deg. here, now ;-)

Appreciatively, Courtney

Reply to
Courtney Thomas

Reply to
Tony

Forgot to ask.....can the same people that check the alternator, also check out the voltage regulator ?

Thanks again,

Courtney

Reply to
Courtney Thomas