I would like to buy a used Audi - what next?

Hello all,

I have been looking for a used Audi now for about nine months - something in the under $10k range - and viola!, came across this newsgroup.

Since the economy (U.S.) has been so bad, I've notice that prices for many used luxury cars, like the Audi's, have dropped significantly in the past months. That's good for me because I'm a college student on a budget and reeeeally would like to own an Audi.

I'm asking for some opinions and direction. I would like to find a 2000 -2003 A4/S4/A6 Quatro Sedan w/ 1.8T or 2.8 (A4) or 2.7T/2.8/3.0 (A6) engine, automatic.

I have driven enough used Audis to know that AWD is a must, especially living in the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania in the winter. I'm not great at driving a stick shift and would prefer an auto.

From my searching so far I've seen prices getting lower and lower and I think I can get something with less than 80,000 miles in the range of a 2002 or 2003 under

10k.

I'd really like to know your opinions for any years, models, engines or transmissions to definitely steer clear of. Also, since I'll be purchasing somewhere in the Pittsburgh/Altoona area of Pennsylvania (rust belt), are there certain models or body styles prone to rust? Does the exhaust system rust?

I will certainly take the car to a mechanic before purchase but would like to know if it's all right to take an Audi to a less costly general services mechanic? or is it better to pay the higher cost of an Audi dealer mechanic?

Any information or opinions you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance and GO STEELERS!!!

Kari

Reply to
Kari Walters

Hmmm JMHO College Student + Budget = should save some $$$ for maintenance. Don't go for the exotic Audis since some components are not cheap to replace!

Look for bad components or change intervals especially with these parts: Suspension Timing Belts Find an Audi mechanic that you can trust! Join some Audi groups and ask around for recommendations and advice BEFORE buying your Audi. ;-)

What do you want exactly? The A4 1.8t will give you a good, not hard/expensive to maintain vehicle. You can easily modify it for more power but I am not sure how the automatic transmissions will hold up to twice the power. I would have preferred a manual transmission on my '97 A4 1.8tq but I be lazy with the automatic. Mine rides very well on the road,but the rear seat is tiny. Some say that the earlier 1.8t engines can be modified for more power easier than the later the 1.8t. The later 1.8t might be more economical and give better throttle response in stock form.

The A6 reminds me of my A4 but it feels much larger on the inside. My next Audi will probably be an A6. ;-) The V6 engine is not that easy to modify for more power.....or I should say that it costs a LOT of money to get more power out of it. Smooth engine though!

The trim on my A4 doors rust out but the body should withstand your rust-belt area. ;-)

IF it is just you and you wanna have fun then get an A4 1.8tq. IF you plan on hauling a family around then you may want an A6.

JMHOs

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 11:16:42 -0500, against all advice, something compelled Kari Walters , to say:

And I'd like to f*ck Christy Brinkley, but that isn't going to happen either. Can you get an Audi for ten grand or less? Sure. Should you? No.

Get a five thousand dollar Toyota. It will run with little trouble for a long time. When you are no longer a college student on a budget, you can get an Audi.

Pay your dues. The rest of us did.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

A small Audi eats about $0.14 per mile for gas, oil, and tires.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

I think I can answer a few bits.

My 97 A4 V6 2.4 at 93K miles has no signs of rust, top or bottom, and is still running on the original exhaust system. I am sure the UK weather is one of the most variable in the world from hot (short periods) to cold/wet/damp so it has undergone a very intensive environmental test. It is also out in the elements 24/7. I always look at other similar Audi's, out of curiosity, and can honestly say I have never seen one with a rust problem.

This said, if you live in an area where salts are regularly spread on the roads then you may find rusty models about.

Find a good third party mechanic, preferably ex Audi/Merc/BMW. You will pay through the nose going to a dealership....they have greater overheads to pay for and therefore charge more.

If you are buying a high miler, make sure it has had a documented major cam/timing belt operation, not just a verbal 'yes sir/madam, it has'.

A recent new front bearings change has transformed mine into a new car.....

Reply to
Ten Pin Bowling

A4 2.8 Quattro auto trans is "officially" 11 hours to get out and back in. It took us longer. S4 4.2 water-cooled! alternator requires the front of the car to come off to change it. How much does your local shop charge per hour?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

First, thanx for all the responses. Sheesh! I really hadn't thought that much about the upkeep and maintenance of Audi, German engineering and all.

I'm going to research the maintenance requirements and reliability of the different Audi models I've been considering, and then make a more informed decision. I may just end up with another Accord though. Mine hasn't broken in over 4 years.

Thanks again, Kari

Reply to
Kari Walters
2000 -2003 | A4/S4/A6 Quatro Sedan w/ 1.8T or 2.8 (A4) or 2.7T/2.8/3.0 (A6) engine, automatic. | | I have driven enough used Audis to know that AWD is a must, especially living in the | beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania in the winter. I'm not great at driving a stick | shift and would prefer an auto. | | From my searching so far I've seen prices getting lower and lower and I think I can | get something with less than 80,000 miles in the range of a 2002 or 2003 under 10k. | | I'd really like to know your opinions for any years, models, engines or | transmissions to definitely steer clear of. Also, since I'll be purchasing somewhere | in the Pittsburgh/Altoona area of Pennsylvania (rust belt), are there certain models | or body styles prone to rust? Does the exhaust system rust? | | I will certainly take the car to a mechanic before purchase but would like to know | if it's all right to take an Audi to a less costly general services mechanic? or is | it better to pay the higher cost of an Audi dealer mechanic? | | Any information or opinions you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!! | | Thank you in advance and GO STEELERS!!! | | Kari

Here are some items to look for: oil leaks especially on the V6 = several hundreds of $ timing belt change is expensive ($800+) and is recommended every 70 to

80,000 miles front suspension components wear out and are costly to repair = several hundreds of $ brake rotors are usually replaced along with pads = $250/wheel if you don't do it yourself expensive cooling system parts failure that my Audi mechanic blames on the pink antifreeze oil sludge problem on A4 four cylinder engines = major engine overhaul. Google it for info.

Fortunately, most of these items can be checked out by a competent Audi mechanic before you buy the car. If your budget can't stand an unanticipated $1000 repair/maintenance item, you should consider something other than a used Audi.

Reply to
iws

i was pissed when i bought my 02 a6 in 2005 with 60k, the timing belt went out and cost me 8k usd to get the engine rebuilt, other than that, the only problem i have had was a camshaft position sensor to replace...

50 bucks, and now at 113k the rear breaks finally need replaced. My car runs 10w40 synthetic, and i change it every 7 to 9 thousand miles. pretty good car except for the timing belt problem i had on it
Reply to
jakemandue