ipod *and* navigation system on an A3

Does anyone know a way to integrate an Ipod into an A3 which has a navigation system? Apparently, the Nav occupies the last spot in the stereo control harness (or whatever). Using the alternative SD cards is an extra step which I don't want.

The car comes with a CD changer in the glove compartment. Is it possible to remove this and replace it with an Ipod connection?

The Audi dealer has no suggestions. I would appreciate any help from this group.

As an aside, why are Xenon lights not offered as an option if a Nav system is installed ???

Thanks.

Bill T

Reply to
Bill T

Thanks for the possible leads. It seems that my best bet is to rip out the CD changer (mandatory with the NAV system) and install a Ipod connection instead.

I still can't figure out why having a NAV precludes xenon lights.

Bill

Reply to
Bill T

Bill T wrote: .

Do you still need an illumination by night, when you are guided by an NAV?

Claus

Reply to
Clas Kristen

I can only think of the battery/alternator requirements. Perhaps they're both heavy power drains so you can only have one or the other.

Reply to
Ed Chilada

Probably not. In my last car (a Mini Cooper) the NAV and Xenons coexisted just fine.

The Audi dealer didn't know the answer either.

Bill T

Reply to
Bill T

Er.. that's a different car with different systems though? I retro fitted a Nav+ to my S4 and had to upgrade the battery at the same time or else kept going flat.

Reply to
Ed Chilada

You are probably right then. Interesting....I wouldn't have thought that a NAV would be such a power drain.

Bill T

Reply to
Bill T

Errr... Xenon (HID) lights use less power than standard filament units. Dip beam on standard lights is 55W, with HID it's 35W.

Reply to
Peter Bell