Is 4Matic a rebadged quattro?

Is the 4Matic system on WV a rebadged quattro or it's some cheap ineffective addon like that found on CRV, RAV4, etc?

I thought 4matic was the Merc version like VW's 4motion? its a "on demand" 4wd rather than the quattro's perm 4wd
Ron

Thanks.

Depends on what you mean by "quattro." 4Motion is what VW calls it's AWD system on VW-badged autos. The Haldex-based system in the TT quattro is the same system in the VW R32 (called 4Motion by VW). The TORSEN system in the A4 quattro is the same system in the current Passat 4Motion.
Now, let's have fun with syncro! j/k
:) -- Jonesy

Torsen system in 5sp and at audis is the same. Correct?

What's that?

Syncro was what VW was calling their AWD cars back in the 80's. There werent too many of them.. I dont even remeber what they offered other than a VW bus w/ syncro, and a syncro Quantum.
-Adam

Yes.

VW's AWD labelling from the 1980s. IIRC, it was different from TORSEN - viscous couplings and such. Somewhere there's a good description, but I can't remember where. Google's got the answer, if you care enough to look it up. :) -- Jonesy

Go on then. I will admit to embarrassing memories of being unable to get a 110 Landy (with its diff locked!) up a slippery, grassy hill that a syncro golf on road tyres just wafted up, so it can't be that bad!
Not proper Quattro of course - - - - - -
Mike.

performance. But what is Landy anyway?

I assume a Landrover 4x4? -- Doug Ramage
John Opezdol wrote:

If you're talking about the Passat 4Motion, then yes. If you're referring to the Golf/Jetta/etc., then no.
-- Mike Smith

Why not? The '4Motion' system in the current Golf is exactly the same as the 'quattro' in the TT and A3 - that is, it's an electronically controlled Haldex clutch.

I never understood the claim that it has a 50/50 split front/rear. Does VW/Audi make a similar claim for it's Haldex system?

More information is available from Haldex themselves, but - IIRC - the "nominal" split is 95/5. This will then vary dynamically up to (again, IIRC) 60/40.
Whether or not this is "proper" Quattro is something that, I'm sure, will continue to be debated. It *does* work very well, though, enabling you to drift the car (with ESP turned off) and - in one memorable case - take the car sideways when accelerating hard on what turned out to be a slippery surface..[1]
On the Mk.I TT, you could feel the torque transfer..
--

Hairy One Kenobi

?

I can take a FWD car sideways on a slippery surface :-) Does the system rob the front wheels off power quick enough?

What did you feel during the drift?

Different feeling, I suspect - a FWD "hunt" is more of a "where's the road" sort of thing (in my experience), where this was a full RWD-style "try to stop the rear overtaking the front" scenario.

Mk.I was before the suspension mods, ESP, and spoiler. Having ordered on the basis of the driving "feel", I was very disappointed that Audi agreed with people that turn hard right at 100mph+ in the wet. I'm with Darwin on that one ;o)
Drift is easy (I would guess in both cars, but didn't try it in the garage's model!). Predictable and smooth, although I've found tyre choice to be very important (put it this way, I'm not looking to buy ContiSports again.. just started on my second set of S03s..)
The TTR drifts like a Westfield (in terms of balance) but you have to be a bit braver when committing to a corner. [Obvious disclaimer: I'm not acting like a complete nutter on public roads, but one needs to know the car's weight-transfer, steering, braking, and "oops" responses under different conditions before getting ambitious. I'm a self-confessed slow learner on that one - I like to know the car first]
Not sure that the "bug" comment is /that/ valid, though - not having driven one, I'd be unsure of the suspension (etc) differences; they're quite noticeable between different TT marks, so I'd be surprised if they were less so through different body styles. And then there's the floorpan difference.. (IIRC, the TT is shorter but still unbelievably wide.. and more than double the weight of a Westie!)
H1K
Peter Bell wrote:

Feh. That shit ain't Quattro, no matter what the badge says.
-- Mike Smith

Well.. 4Matic is Mercedes, so no, its not rebadged Quattro. And I don't think it matters whether its in West Virginia or not.