Is it really a Mercedes or more a Chyrsler ??

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking at my next car, ideally if it exists I'd like a luxury saloon, 4x4 IN DIESEL !!
But, it's hard choosing because basically there is no new car out
there that takes my fancy - basically I think they are all a rip off.
Anyway....
My choices are between BMW, Audi and Mercedes.
My problems are;
1) BMW - don't like the new designs (like the company values, true to its beliefs, unlike Mercedes which is a 'produce every different type of car under the sun').
2) Audi - heard lots of reliability issues (but do like their designs)
3) Mercedes - like the designs, like the extras options, don't like the e-class dashboard, don't like the quality, question is am I really buying a Mercedes or am I buying a Chrysler with a mercedes badge and pricetag.
Or maybe I should just go for a secondhand saloon that fits the above (saloon, 4x4, diesel) - in which case I'd probably have no choice but to go for an Audi - again though it's the reliability issues with that marque that I'm concerned with.
Any ideas ??
Thanks for your time.
On 23 Jan 2004 01:26:13 -0800, a snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (A_Newsreader) wrote:

What reliability issues?
I'm hearing that so often in these "Which car should I buy" queries, that I'm now asking this.
For several years now the A6 (as example) has been leading (or at least top-ranking) the reliability statistics of the German ADAC. [1]
The ADAC counts all events in which their support had to repair defects on cars and/or their road support had to tow the car.
Audis are considered pretty reliable cars here, so I'd really wonder where that impression comes from?
Regards
Wolfgang
x-post removed.
[1] 2000: http://www.fahrschule.de/Auto/20010427.html 2001: http://makeashorterlink.com/?A67552927 2002: http://makeashorterlink.com/?I14542927 25 years: http://makeashorterlink.com/?S63522927 (Figures are the number of top positions in the last 25 years; 'Gewinner' = Winner; 'Verlierer' = Losers)
(A_Newsreader)

Loads of people keep asking if Audis's are unrealiable, but ask any owners in here if there cars are unreliable and they will tell you NO! In newsgroups people only complain when things go wrong, we dont say how amazing our cars are every day because we don't need to.
In 60k miles I have never been left stranded once, I did however have a flat battery once and that was replaced by the AA, and was my fault as I left my TV's on.
Go to Alt.ford or Alt.vauxhall and hear the people whining about there creaks and groans and all other problems they have :)
Ron
Hey Guys sorry if I offended !!
It looks like it could be an A8 4.0 Diesel Quattro then !
Seems to fit my requirements.
What's the engine like in these cars ?? Turbo lag particularly ??
(A_Newsreader)

if you have questions about reliability go to J.D. Powers or Consumer Reports.

Once again displaying his ignorance by recommending an American organization and an American publication to someone who is obviously in a market that is *not* North America. Hey, Butterbrain, when's the last time you saw either a BMW *or* Audi diesel sold new in the US? -- C.R. Krieger "Ignore 'em, m'dear; they're beneath our dignity." - W.C. Fields
I think there looks like there is no choice.....it looks very much like it's gonna be an Audi A8 4.0turbodiesel Quattro Saloon.....

What do you mean that there is no choice? Over in Europe we have the Audi Allroad and various Quattro's, BMW X3 and X5, VW Touareg with either 2.5 or 5.0 engine, all kinds of Japanese and Asian brands, Volvo Cross Country and XC90, Land and Range Rover and many others available with diesel. The A8 is a good choice apart maybe for the depreciation aspect. It would be my choice in four years time, after you have put a few miles on it. Top banana in the UK has to be the BMW X5 which retains its value extraordinarily well so far. My personal favourite for all round road performance has to be the VW V10 Touareg, which I drove the other day.
Huw

Almost all that you mention below are SUV's, not saloons (sedans). Please give him reasonable feedback rather than randon gibberish.
Floyd

Thanks Floyd, there appears to be more and more people answering like this in newsgroups rather than actually reading the question.
Anyways, I do agree with that poster on one point - it will be a secondhand purchase after several, 3-4 years (to knock off a lot of depreciation).
Best regards.

I do not regard either the Quattro's, Allroad, X5, X3, Volvo or even the Touareg as SUV's. They are rather big saloon cars which have varying driving heights. The difference between a so called SUV and a saloon is becoming ever more blurred. In my fleet I avoid the term SUV and prefer to differentiate by whether the vehicle is more performance biased or more heavy duty biased. The same customer may view the BMW X5 and the Range Rover, Quattro, Allroad and Volvo XC70 and 90, which all lack a chassis, along with the Mercedes M, which has a chassis, when making a buying decision. The Audi 4.0 diesel is an excellent choice of its type because as a front wheel drive vehicle the torque generated by the engine is probably just too much to make it a pleasant drive. The same is true of the Touareg V10 5.0 which just has to have four wheel drive to work. It is also a very nice alternative to the A8 Quattro. You should try it in tandem with an A8. I have and know which I would prefer to drive. My friend has an Audi A6 Allroad diesel and has just done over 80,000 miles in 18 months. He is very pleased with it. In essence this is just a slightly higher and better equipped A6 Quattro. He loves it, except for a fairly flat bottom end performance from the engine. He will probably not have another one, just because 100,000 miles in such a short time is enough in one model of vehicle. It gets boring.
Huw

Think again. Show me Consumer Reports ratings on current Citroens. Show me J.D. Power ratings on current Opels. -- C.R. Krieger (Seen ingrate fools before)
warp2 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (C.R. Krieger) writes:

J.D. Power do studies for the U.K. and Asian markets at leats. See for example the 2003 "UK Car Customer Satisfaction (CSI) Study" at <http://www.jdpa.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID 03023> Iguess you are technically true as Opel (or its equivalent Vauxhall in the UK) or Citroen are not mentioned there...
--
Ignasi.
'90 325is

thank you sir, I'm always wrong because "I'm some dumb punk kid."

please read below, and now who's the fool?? I hate being correct.

You should be happy that is an incredibly rare event.

for you not me, I understand this bothers you.

Ya know, Ghee, part of the art of making a snappy comeback is doing it somewhat less than *17 days later*! -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that for you)

yeah I know but I'm closing on a 42 unit apartment so I haven't had a lot of free time but I will soon.