Is my '98 Audi A4 Quattro having growing pains, or is it in it's DEATH THROES??

Need help in making a judgement call:

Here's the quick lowdown on my first Audi (owner 2 yrs). It has only 52K miles (in Boston), BUT.....

  1. It's punishing me with yearly control arm/ball joint problems. (Replaced 5 control arms in the last 3 years.) (~0 ea.)

  1. Front steering rack needs to be replaced as it's begun leaking steering fluid. (~00)

  2. I'm loooking at 60K miles coming up which seems to be when a timing belt replacement is in order (~00)

  1. Engine is in great shape, but some of the trimmings (tiptronic, child door lock on left rear) are busted.

Is this "normal" for all cars? Just Audi's?? Is it time to unload this problematic Audi and start saving for another, or am I just hitting a usual expensive bump in the road?

Thanks in advance for weighing in.....

Dan

Reply to
dpcrow2

All those control arm replacements sound fishy to me. Also, you should be able to get the TB/water pump/ancillary items replaced for considerably less than $1500 at a decent independent shop. Still, the costs you are about to incur to get it saleable for anything near blue book add up to a significant percentage of what the thing is actually worth. Frankly, it sounds like a lemon and it might be better to cut your losses and sell it "as is" and put that money plus what you would have spent on repairs and TB into a new vehicle. Although I've driven Audis for over 20 years, I'm not going to buy another mainly because of my troubles with a 1998 A4. You'd do well to consider alternatives too.

Reply to
iws

That sounds like a dealer rate. You could get it done at an indy shop for quite a bit less.

Also, with the tb, not only mileage but age should be considered. With all the premature tb failures on the A4, I'd replace it every 5 years regardless of miles. The cost of engine repairs if it breaks is just too high to risk it.

Pete

Reply to
Pete