Just added cruise control to 1998 A6 (TDI)

Hi All
Just a note to let people know that I have added cruise control to my 1998 A6 2.5 TDI. It was a fairly straightforward job and the only parts I needed
to buy was the new stalk with CC buttons, and a compatible connector. Needed to connect 4 wires to block in the e-box and 1 wire to terminal 15.
I may write a step by step guide but in the meantime if anyone's interested in doing this then let me know if you want any more details. Probably only relevant for diesel or dbw models in the UK as cruise control is standard in the states...
Cheers!
James

What about 1.8T 1998 (Auto)? Stuart

Hi Stuart
On a diesel car, the throttle is electronically controlled, when you push the pedal you are just telling the ECU that you want to go faster, and the ECU injects more fuel to increase speed. Thus cruise control is just a function of the ECU and no other mechanics are involved.
Some petrol cars also operate in this manner (drive by wire or DBW) and you could probably do the cruise control mod - but I don't know if your car is DBW. If it isn't DBW then adding cruise is a lot more complex and you would need a new throttle body, vacuum pump and god knows what else.
I'll have a look around...
James

Stuart
It would help if you can give me your engine code - it seems that the "motronic" ones are DBW but I could be wrong...

Engine code appears to be AEB according to the paperwork. Stuart