Just bought a TT, got two Q's..

Hey all,
I just became the proud owner of a sea-silver metallic Audi TT. After being a devout Alfa Romeo driver all my life I just couldn't resist the temptations of this sexy German beauty. One testdrive
was all she needed to finally convince me ;-)
Anyway.. I have two questions.
I know using 98RON gas (the European kind) is recommended for optimum performance. But will using 95RON gas (in case I can't always get 98) damage the engine in any way.. or will it just give me less performance?
Someone told me I had to keep the engine running for a few seconds before switching it off to let the Turbo settle down. Is this true? If so.. how long is "a few seconds" ?
Cheers!

Many congratulations - enjoy! Not heard of sea silver before - is this a US description.

There is no problem using 95RON - it states this in the handbook. I use it all the time. Some people say they can notice a difference when they use 98RON (and also Shell Optimax here in the UK). Maybe you should try it and see for yourself.

I've heard that if you've been doing a bit of "spirited" driving, then it's worth leaving the engine running to allow things to cool down, rather than switching off straight away. Not sure how long though. I would have thought a minute or two. If you've been driving "normally", then I don't think there's any problem switching off straight away.
--
Moley
TTOC Member

As Moley said, it's OK but might get you (marginally) lower performance and mileage.

Basically, it's to prevent oil in the turbo overheating and gumming everything up. The 225 has a built-in coolant recirculator to help with this sort of thing.
Personally, I allow about 30 seconds - more if the temperature needle rises above median. (Presumably when one has met Swash; having never once come across a Volvo being driven in a "spirited" manner [excepting breaking motorway speed limits in straight lines. Yawn] I can only speculate ;o)
--

Hairy One Kenobi

If you ever meet me, you'll know. Silver S60 (going very quick up market weighton hill about 20 mins ago...)

Can't comment, except that (from the map) it looks like a straight A-road..
If you're ever down this neck of the woods, then I'd recommend Brimpton Common to Watership Down via Kingsclere (there's also a good couple of straights if you're heading from Aldermaston) All National, apart from slowing down for the villages (mostly 40s, some 30s). Not much opportunity for overtaking (best let cars in front have a few minutes' lead), apart from a nice bend complex that - situation permitting - can be "flattened", and a short complex with tight 90s each end.
Heading down the hill and left towards Overton, it gets a little more fun - a straightish road with major up-and-down bumps, which really tests the brakes ("anyone in the blind spot?") and acceleration ("nope!") - and is followed by a very tight set of interlinked bends. Real red mist slidey stuff ;o)
H1K

indeed it is...
Other favourites of mine (not familiar with your example, and can't work it out on Autoroute - any chance of emailine me an axe file?)
Beverley - Thirsk, B1248 (very fast and open B road with a couple of odd dips and weaves) to malton, then B1257 to A170, down sutton bank, into thirsk. Total from home (hull) 65 miles, record (XR4x4) 55 minutes (S60 1hr 10 mins but stuck in traffic in malton).
Unclassified road from Wawne to Routh - recently resurfaced and hedges trimmed making it a very fast road (done it in the TT a few times) and only two miles from home - 5 miles and only one short straight. Someone recently has put home-made signs up showing where people have left the road with captions like "SPEED" and "DRUNK" on them... Love it.
Back road from Clevedon to Bristol Airport - just amazing for suspension testing....

And then theres always the Scarborough to Whitby road when its quiet... late at night, or early morning, thats a challenging road....
--
Dan

You gotta follow that through onto the A171 and do the run back throu goathland to make it worthwhile...

Don't have AR anymore (use the Garmin package that works with the GPS) If you take a look at Streetmap on the larger scale (http://tinyurl.com/l5u5 ) it's the B3051 (TBH, I didn't know the name of the village until I looked it up - it's "past the war memorial, then on past the Pineapple [pub]" ;o)

:o) I'll make a note of those - thanks!
Another one that I missed is near High Wycombe, and well worth a quick detour if you're on the M40 down here (http://tinyurl.com/l5un ) It's the dotted roads (which I guess is OS-speak for "can't be bothered to mark all of the curves" ;o) Check-out the contours..!

Oh, yes. Some lovely roads around that area (discovered a few while commuting from Slough to Bristol with the M4 impassable). Some very dodgy road surfaces, though.. had to get someone back on a flight to Ireland with not enough time. We made it, but the BMW slogan was sounding a little hollow at the end of it ;o) Nasty bit (if I'm thinking about the same road) was the apparently random scattering of 30s along the route.
H1K

part of the punishment for having driven an average of 35k per annum for the last ten years is haveing driven some cool cars over some neat roads; giving the experiences listed.